Skip to content
Heart Disease Community
tarzan01 posted:
In 2005, I was diagnosed with PAD. I had 98% blockage to both legs. My doctor first tried stents in groin area, but they collapsed within a week. I then had a bifemoral aortic bypass for a lg anuerysm in aorta 1 month later. Since that time i have had 2 strokes, developed 4 brain anuerysms ( 2 were able to be coiled ) , and now my carotid arteries are getting clogged, as well as legs again. I have now been having problems with my heart. I went from high blood pressure, to very low blood pressure . I was fainting, dizziness, as well as low heart beats. My cardiologist put in a pacemaker ( set at 60 ), took me off Toprol XL and first put me on FLUDROCORTISONE, then added MIDODRINE 2.5mg twice a day. Two weeks ago he took me off the FLUDROCORTISONE. The problem now is, my bloodpressure has gone back to HIGH. Example...right now it is 193/101 . I have been having alot of pressure in my chest, like a squeezing effect...or fluttering and racing heart. ( All while at rest ) PROBLEM...I don't know what to do. I have been calling his office, I keep being told he will call me at the end of the clinic hours. It's been 4 days now, and I still haven't heard from him. 5 days ago, they had me come in to have a blood pressure monitor on....but I noticed within 3 hrs., it kept repeatedly pumping up. The reason? The monitor wasn't getting a reading due to the tubing had came out. Thats when i noticed the tube that was connected to the cuff had come apart. My arm was black from the black electrical tape they had it being held together with. I called the office at that time, and have been calling every day since to no avail. My doctors office is over an hour away, and honestly, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ! He has never told me at what point ( blood pressure number wise ) when to take action, like go to an emergency room. When is high blood pressure TOO HIGH ?

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

You have quite a medical history, and obviously need to find a doctor who returns your calls promptly.

"The problem now is, my blood pressure has gone back to HIGH. Example...right now it is 193/101"

"When is high blood pressure TOO HIGH?"

About Blood Pressure

The complex human body is usually able to keep blood pressure (BP) within safe/acceptable limits, but sometimes changes in lifestyle, health, stressful situations, anxiety, side effects from prescription drugs, or changes in metabolism, make this difficult. This can cause the BP to become consistently higher or lower than normal, or spike up and then drop down.

Compensatory mechanisms that control BP involves changing the diameter of veins and small arteries (arterioles), the amount of blood pumped out from the heart per minute (cardiac output), and the volume of blood in the vessels.

Normal resting BP in adults is under 120/80 with 115/75 or 110/70 considered as being optimal/ideal. Prehypertension is defined as systolic of 120-139 mmHg and diastolic of 80-89 mmHg. Stage 1 is systolic of 140 to 159 and diastolic of 90 to 99. Stage II is systolic of 160 to 179 and diastolic of 100 to 109. Stage III is systolic greater than 180 and diastolic greater than 110. Stage IV is systolic of 210 and greater, and diastolic of 120 and greater.

Sometimes, high BP can suddenly become a "hypertensive crisis", which is described as when diastolic is greater than 120, and there are signs or symptoms of damage to the brain, heart, kidneys or other organs. If/when applicable, quick-acting drugs can be administered in the ER setting to reduce BP.

Noteworthy, temporary increases or high spikes in BP, which was at one time was thought as being relatively harmless, can in fact be deleterious (may/can even cause a hypertensive brain attack) in some individuals, especially in those who already have hypertension or weakened arteries in the brain.

Pulse pressure is also important, which is the difference between systolic (heart's pumping phase) and diastolic (heart's resting phase). Usually, the resting (in sitting position) pulse pressure in healthy individuals is 40 mmHg, give or take a little. A consistantly narrow (say 20 or 25 mmHg or less) or wide (say 60 or 65 or more) pulse pressure is not good.

ALWAYS be proactive in your health care and treatment. Sometimes this requires being assertive.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack/stroke

Epidemiologic studies (EDS) have revealed risk factors (encompasses some new, novel, emerging) for atherosclerosis (typically affecting the carotid, coronary, and peripheral arteries), which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction or mutation), diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor) , smoking (includes second/thirdhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, LOW HDL (less than 40 mg/dL, an HDL level of 60/65 mg/dL or more is considered protective against coronary artery disease), high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD message boards DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Omega 3 (Harp Seal Oil): One of the Best Supplement for Heart Diseases
Omega 3 is a must for Heart Disease, especially Harp Seal Oil Omega3. More Info(Harp Seal Oil vs. Fish Oil) I prefer canadian products ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center