Skip to content
Very frequent heart palpitations
nic14120 posted:
Hello, I am a 33 yr old female. During my second pregnancy I had isses when I was tachy. My heart would race for up t0 15 minutes at time. It seemed to have resolved during my last trimester and I would only experience palpitations. About 3-4 months after my daughter was born I have started to experience very regular heart palpitations. I had bloodwork done just this past month and a full blood panel showed normal and my thryoid (I am hypo) was under control. I did do a halter monitor as well, and they said the readings showed times where my heart would race up, slow down, and skip a beat here and there. This was about 3 weeks ago I was recorded. I have cut out all forms of caffine, but lately I have been feeling them it seems very often during the day, every day. It is best described as it feels as though my heart is flip flopping. It does not race. But feelng the artery in my neck, it feels like it skips a beat and races up and gets regular again. It has really been scaring me and I feel it happen sometimes up to 20x a day. The card said my results were benign and I can see a rythemist cardioligist, which I plan to schedule. In the meantime, I am very scared. Is this something that can happen so often and not be dangerous>? It just does not feel "right"...I can feel it when I am working, stressing, and relaxing when trying to fall asleep. Thank you

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi:

"Is this something that can happen so often and not be dangerous?:

In some individuals yes.

In general only here, and as applicable, there are common palpitations, most notably premature ventricular contractions (PVCs), and supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) or paroxsymal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT).

PVCs, which has various causes or triggers (includes during and post-pregnancy and stress) can cause the heart to feel like it's flip-flopping, skipping or fluttering, or suddenly beat fast and/or pound hard.

PVCs are typically benign be it isolated (single), couplets (2-in-row), triplets (3-in-a-row) or salvos (short bursts of 3 or more in-a-row), bigeminy (occurring every other beat), trigeminy (occurring every third beat), quadrigeminy (occurring every fourth beat), etc., etc.

However, PVCs can become a real problem (even more so, much more emphasized for those with certain major or serious heart conditions) if/when sustained ventricular tachycardia (runs of PVCs over 30 seconds) occurs.

PSVT typically causes a frightening burst/surge in heart/pulse rate that begins/starts and ends/stops suddenly (hence the term paroxsymal), which can last for just mere seconds or it can continue on for minutes to hours to days. SVT can send the heart into speeds up to 150-200 BPM, and sometimes, even as high as 300 BPM.

SVT itself typically does not damage the heart, is typically not serious or life-threatening in a structurally normal heart, though some symptoms that may/can occur can surely make one feel/think otherwise.

Symptoms that may/can occur with PVCs or SVT, PSVT includes chest pain/discomfort/pressure/tightness, difficulty breathing, lightheadedness/dizziness, and in uncommon to rare cases, syncope (temporary loss of consciousness, which includes passing out or fainting).

ALWAYS be proactive in your health care and treatment. Most important, communicate/interact well with your doctors.

Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

Learn about the heart's delicate and precise electrical conduction system

Your-doctor com

Animated Tutorial

http://www.your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/conductiontutorial.html

Heart Rhythm Society

Patient and Public Information Center

http://www.hrspatients.org/patients

Learn About the

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

-

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types) info, actual diagnostic images.

http://www.heartsite.com

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD Health Exchanges DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center