Skip to content
Follow up question to frequent palpitations
nic14120 posted:
I had posted 2 weeks ago about frequent palpitations I have been feeling. I can best describe the sensation I feel as that my heart will skip a beat, sometimes 2x in a row and it feels like it will flub afterwards and I can feel that flub into my neck sometimes. It is a very uneasy feeling. I don't get any lightheadness etc with this. I called and spoke with the NP today at the card office. She said that I had an echo in Nov that showed a strong heart with no concerns, just palpitations. She is going to have me do an event monitor for 5 days. She said that she does not want to do meds because on my previous halter reading at night my heart rate would go down to 40 bpm sometimes. She asked if I have sleep apnea and not to my knowledge. I have had a handlful times in my life where I woke up gasping, but not frequently and I do not snore. (per my husband). I am really nervous now about the low heart rate at night and these episodes. Is this a sign of something serious possibly? She is also going to have me do a stress test as well. I am very scared. My older sister started experiencing heart issues around my age. She has mitro valve prolapse and atrialfibliration. She has a history of tachy issues and I tend to take after her. She takes a betta blocker and had an ablation done many years ago. I worry since I can't take any meds due to my heart rate slowing at night. I have to wait for the monitor to come in the mail and I am scared this could be something serious and I could have heart failure -god forbid!! Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi:

"I am really nervous now about the low heart rate at night and these episodes."

Nervous no doubt.

Normal resting range heart rate is 60-100 beats per minute (BPM). Average resting heart rate in men is 72-78 BPM and in women is 78-84 BPM. Under 60 BPM is bradycardia (slow heartbeat).

40 BPM is obviouisly low/slow, though some individuals normally have a heart rate this low, and it causes no problems, or their heart rate dips down this low during sleep, causing no problems.

"Is this a sign of something serious possibly?"

Not necessarily.

Especially since you mentioned that you had an echocardiogram back in November which showed a strong heart.

"...and I could have heart failure".

Seems highly-unlieky at this time.

Also, review/re-review the info provide here:

Very frequent heart palpitations

http://forums.webmd.com/3/heart-disease-exchange/forum/3738
Take good care,

CardioStar*

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Omega 3 (Harp Seal Oil): One of the Best Supplement for Heart Diseases
Omega 3 is a must for Heart Disease, especially Harp Seal Oil Omega3. More Info(Harp Seal Oil vs. Fish Oil) I prefer canadian products ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center