Skip to content
Exercise as Medicine
Joe Piscatella posted:
Just let me remind you of the sheer number of benefits that regular exercise can bring. It can strengthen your heart muscle, boost protective HDL cholesterol, protect the coronary arteries, reduce blood clotting, lower blood pressure, manage stress and help you to lose weight (if you need to). And as a result, it helps reduce your risk of heart attack and stroke. Dr. Robert Butler, an expert on aging, says it best: "If exercise could be packaged into a pill, it would be the single most widely prescribed and beneficial medicine in the nation." Think about it.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Thanks for another great post Dr. Piscatella!

I was just reading a story about a 100-year-young woman who credits weight lifting and pilates for her quality of life . Proof right there.

On that note, I'm off for a walk!

Haylen

DeadManWalking57 responded:
I discovered in cardiac rehab research, that the skeletal muscles produce a hormone that aids healing.

So you will absolutely heal and recover faster if you can get moving sooner.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

To keep a Healthy heart
Try concentrate on cholesterol free food ,reduce or totally avoid tobacco smoking and exercisefor about 30 minutes. More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center