Skip to content
HeartAttack
cdp2011 posted:
I just had an heart attack 3wks ago and i am waiting on my echo results and i am 46yr female and this is blowing my mind!! My husband can't sleep anything i do or move he jumps!! I am trying to regain my strength back and rebuild my life back again. I know it will take time but i choose to live and not die!!! I just needed to share this thanks!!!

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

Thanks for sharing.

"This is blowing my mind!!"

No doubt, as it does many.

Especially when a heart attack has occured, one should know his/her left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF), which is the single-most important clinical indicator of how well the heart is pumping, the amount of blood that is being forced out of the left ventricle (LV) with each beat. An echocardiogram easily and quickly provides this information for the patient.

Normal resting range LVEF is 50%/55%-70%/75%. Average reported is in the low to mid 60s.Under 50% enters into the realm of dysfunctional territory that goes from mild to moderate to severe heart failure.

Cleveland Clinic

Understanding Your Ejection Fraction

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/disorders/heartfailure/ejectionfraction.aspx

"I am trying to regain my strength back and rebuild my life back again."

To start, as applicable,

Cardiac Rehab

Typically, cardiac rehab plays an important role in the overall recovery process, which is DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE, and at any age.

WebMD/Healthwise

Cardiac Rehab

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/tc/cardiac-rehabilitation-topic-overview

Mayo Clinic

Cardiac rehab: Building a better life after heart disease

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cardiac-rehabilitation/HB00017

Mended Hearts

Hope for recovery. Hope for a rich, full life.

http://www.mendedhearts.org

Most important, coronary artery disease (CAD) is a lifelong unpredictable (can exhibit periods of stabilization, acceleration, and even some regression) condition, requiring a continuum of care, as well as good doctor-patient/patient-doctor communication and understanding at ALL times.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

WebMD

Living with Heart Disease

Coronary artery disease (CAD)

CAD is a chronic disease with no cure. When you have coronary artery disease, it is important to take.....

Recognize the symptoms......

Reduce your risk factors......

Take your medications......

See your doctor for regular check-ups.....

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/living-with-heart-disease

Coronary artery anatomy

Starting with the left anterior descending (LAD), the most critical, next to the ultra-critical left main (LM).

http://www.heartsite.com/html/lad.html

-

Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack/stroke

Epidemiologic studies (EDS) have revealed risk factors (encompasses some new, novel, emerging) for atherosclerosis (typically affecting the carotid, coronary, and peripheral arteries), which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction or mutation), diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor) , smoking (includes second/thirdhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, LOW HDL (less than 40 mg/dL, an HDL level of 60/65 mg/dL or more is considered protective against coronary artery disease), high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

WebMD/WebMD Health Exchanges
does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

cdp2011 replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
Thanks for the response and info!! I am going to start a cardiac rehab as suggest by my cardiologist. I am waiting for my echo results. I want to exercise now but scared to start and don't know what type of exercise i am supposed to be doing?! So i have to wait but i am striving to walk and make sure I eat right and take my meds. Since this happened recently I feel helpless but yet I am determined to go for the gusto!! I guess i just have to take it 1 day at a time! My husband wont let me drive and he just want me in the house all the time..I understand but it drives me crazy and i need to get out of this house sometimes and sometimes no energy to go anywhere?!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to cdp2011's response:
cdp,

Welcome! You sound so positive and focused - good for you!

I'm wondering if you've explored support groups through the hospital or rehab center that you and your husband could attend together? Perhaps there is a short term therapy option that you can use so that you can adjust to your "new reality"?

Here's a link to Heart Disease Resources from the WebMD Heart Health Center: http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/heart-disease-resources

I can imagine what an impact this would have on my life and my relationships. Whew!

Please keep checking in here and let us know how you are doing!

Haylen

billh99 replied to cdp2011's response:
Cardiac rehab is a good idea. It will gradually increase exercise levels while being monitored.

But in the meantime, unless you where told to not do it, you should be able to walk. Don't they have you walking while you where in the hospital.

Start by walking a block and back. If that is too much then do 1/2 block or even just to the sidewalk and back.

After 3 days or so and if you are feeling OK then increase the distance a bit.

cdp2011 replied to billh99's response:
Thank you for responding!! yes they did have me walk the day i was discharged. yes i have made it my goal to walk a half a block and i will try to increase as feel better. I do have a appt for the cardi rehab in 2wks. I feel good but i know i have to take it easy for now!!!

cdp2011 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you for the info and responding!!! I will let you know my progress! Thanks!!!

cdp2011 replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
Thank you for the info!!

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

potassium levels
talk to your physician and check your meds on WebMD -- some med combinations either deplete or increase potassium levels in your ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center