Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
High Cholestrol
An_241829 posted:
I am 28 years old having a high cholesterol level (about 256 - 266 ) my LDL is high and HDL is low , Triglycerides is also very high. I do not smoke or drink, I am not overweight, BMI is 23. Should I be worried?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Have you discussed your results with your doctor? I would start there!

In the meantime, here is a link to a WebMD resource: Cholesterol Management Health Center

You can find a wealth of information there regarding what your numbers mean and steps you can take to lower your cholesterol.

Haylen

BillH99 responded:
Should I be worried?

No, worrying will only increase your stress level which can be as damaging as the cholesterol.

But being proactive is a completely different thing.

That combination of high LDL, low HDL, and high trig is an marker for increased future heart problems.

But lifestyle changes can often make a big difference. In your case you are already at a normal weight and don't smoke.

But you need to add exercise and healthy diet, if you are not already doing those.

The general recommendation of 30 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise, 5 times a week. But it can have a much greater effect if you can do more intense activities and/or longer.

There are many different healthy heart diets. Something like the DASH or Mediterranean diets are basic and easy to follow.

In general limit total fats to 25-35% of total calories. But very little saturated fats. Get good fats from things like olive oil, fatty fish, avocados, nuts.

Lean protein from chicken, fish, low fat diary, and beans.

Eat lots of fruit and lots and lots and lots of vegies.

Eat whole grain products.

And limit things with sugar and white flour such as sweeten drinks, pastries, and white bread.

Then after 6 months have lipids rechecked. And then discuss this with your doctor along with other risk factors such as other medical problems and family history of heart and diabetes.

CardiostarUSA1 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi:

Excellent advice from Haylen.

Info for the masses, it has been known for quite some time now that atherosclerosis begins (the process/progression of) at a very early age, even as early as in the pre-teen/teenage years.

Studies performed in the past have shown fatty streaks (represents the earliest precursor to plaque development and plaque is the pathological hallmark of atherosclerosis) as the beginning of atherosclerosis in the coronary arteries. Soft plaque (more dangerous and unpredictable than hard or calcified plaque) is the early stage of atherosclerosis.

A study in the prestigious NEJM showed just how prevalent this problem is. Researchers performed autopsies on young soldiers who had died in combat from conditions other than CAD.

Almost all the individuals had fatty streaks in the aorta (the largest artery in the human body). 50% of individuals under the age of 16 years and 85% of individuals under the age of 40 had them in their coronary arteries. More advanced atheroscleotic blockages were found in 30% of individuals under 20 years and 60% of individuals under 40 years old.

The prevalence of these lesions directly correlated with increasing body weight, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels. Cigarette smokers also had more widespread blockages.

Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

American Heart Association - Learn and Live

What Your Cholesterol Levels Mean

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/What-Your-CholestrolLevels-Mean_UCM_305562_Article.jsp

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types) info, actual diagnostic images.

http://www.heartsite.com

_ . _

Heart-Healthy Foods

Avoid foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol. Choose skim or low-fat milk, low-fat yogurt and reduced-fat cheeses. Eat more fish and poultry. Limit servings to five to seven ounces a day. Trim visible fat. Limit egg yolks. Substitute two egg whites for one whole egg or use an egg-substitute. Eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, breads and cereals. Use less salt and fat. Season with herbs and spices rather than with sauces, gravies and butter.

_ . _

Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack/stroke

Epidemiologic studies (EDS) have revealed risk factors (encompasses some new, novel, emerging) for atherosclerosis (typically affecting the carotid, coronary, and peripheral arteries), which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction, or mutation), diabetes, smoking (includes second/thirdhand), inactivity, obesity, high blood pressure (hypertension), high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, LOW HDL (less than 40 mg/dL, an HDL level of 60/65 mg/dL or more is considered protective against coronary artery disease), high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

Quote!

Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD Health Exchanges DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment

WebMD DOES NOT endorse any specific product, service, or treatment.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
I don't think you need to be worried, but I agree with the other posts that you need to be proactive by being careful about what you eat and how much exercise you do.

Depending on your specific numbers (i.e. LDL > 160 for example), it's possible that medication or fish oil supplementation could be beneficial - it's worth discussing with your doctor in any case.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center