Skip to content
Still bleeding from Angioplasty
dac2009 posted:
My 71 y/o mother had angioplasty 3 months ago. The insertion site is still bleeding after 3 months (not continuously, but it has happened a couple of times). After the procedure, there was some bleeding which she saw the doctor about, and was told it was normal drainage. Should this be happening after 3months? She tells me it is bright red blood and does not look like "drainage fluid." There is a hard lump there, and she has a bandage placed over the site. There is not a great deal of bleeding, but there shouldn't be ANY after 3 months should there? I've told her to call a doctor, but she refuses because the last time this happened (about a week after surgery) she had to sit in the waiting room over an hour to be told it was normal. If anyone has had a similar experience, please let me know!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi dac2009,

Strongly encourage your mother to call the doctor's office. Persistent bleeding shouldn't be ignored even if it means an uncomfortable waiting room experience.

Are you able to go with your mom to the appointment? She might find the thought waiting less frustrating with some company. Another option is to request first appointment of the day.

Please check back in to see if our experts or community members have additional input.

Haylen

dac2009 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks for your reply! I live in a different city than she does, but my sister is spending the holidays with her, so I will talk to her about going with her. I will tell her to try to request the first appointment. I would think that the lump (which they told her was normal), would be gone by now. They also said some amount of drainage was normal. "Bleeding" and "drainage" though, I think, would be totally different things! They recommended a second procedure in the next few months, now she is reconsidering after the trouble she is having. She has no fever, and says she is feeling just fine. She says there isn't much pain (just a little discomfort) associated with the site.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 11 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center