Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Buddy just went back in for a cath after 2yrs with stent,,,sure hope im not wasting my time exersising...Dr ?
cvcman posted:
my buddy had 2 stents 2 yrs ago, chest pain yesterday while walking, back in for a cath and they think a stent is plugging. I had mine a year ago and no trouble so far....Now he doesnt eat right and never exercises but man 2 yrs and back in ??
My brother had 3 stents then triple bypass now chest pains again and they think something is plugging up with him so they put him back on plavix and upped the bp meds, same thing he doesnt exersise or eat right.
Now I exercise EVERYDAY, run 3-4 miles a day or bike 20-30 a day, also weights and floor exersises and I eat very good. I also dropped 47 pounds and have kept it off and my blood work is great ! But...when I hear stuff like this I wonder how long before it me....sure hope im doing the right thing and will increase my chances of not having any more issues...

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi:

I'm not a doctor but you are doing the right thing, though realistically, unfortunately, and since everyone is unique, with each and every health/medical case/situation being different (a fact that is seldom properly addressed or seldom stongly emphasized on the Internet), this may not necessarily decrease the chances of having heart-related issues/problems down the road.

Just one case in point, my father had quad bypass (CABGX4) at the spry-young-age of 77. He ate healthy afterwards, got lots of exercise where he worked (physical labor) and some at home (treadmill and Soloflex), took his meds as directed, and in just three years later had two blocked bypass grafts which required angioplasties. Then more angioplasties would follow a few years after that, and then stents a few years later after that.

There over four dozen risk factors, markers, indicators for cardiovascular disease, some iffy/questionable, new, novel emerging, with more certainly to come.

As reported, a risk factor merely increases the probability that one will develop cardiovascular disease, BUT doesn't 100% guarantee that one will develop it, nor does its absence (or even the absence of ALL known risk factors) 100% guarantee that one won't have a heart attack or brain attack/stroke.

The bottom line

Coronary stents (bare-metal or drug-eluting) are only a Band-aid or spot-treatment, and coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery is just a clever way of temporarily circumventing the problem (atherosclerosisi), as it doesn't address the disease process and what drives the progression.

Coronary artery disease (CAD) is a lifelong unpredictable (may/can exhibit periods of stabilization, acceleration and even sme regression) condition requiring a continuum of care.

Take extra-good care,

CardioStar*

-

-

Be well-informed

WebMD

Living with Heart Disease

Coronary artery disease (CAD)

CAD is a chronic disease with no cure. When you have CAD, it is important to take care.....

This is especially true if you have had an interventional procedure or surgery to improve blood flow to the heart../It is up to you to take steps.....

Recognize the symptoms......

Reduce your risk factors......

Take your medications......

See your doctor for regular check-ups...

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/living-with-heart-disease

-

Good to know, for the primary/secondary prevention of heart attack/brain attack (stroke)

Epidemiologic studies (EDS) have revealed risk factors (encompasses some new, novel or emerging) for atherosclerosis, which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, alfunction or mutation), diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes second/thirdhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, LOW HDL (less than 40 mg/dL, an HDL level of 60/65 mg/dL or more is considered protective against coronary artery disease), high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

HeartSite

Coronary artery anatomy

Starting with the left anterior descending (LAD), the most critical, next to the ultra-critical left main (LM).

http://www.heartsite.com/html/lad.html

-

Quote!

Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
You are definitely on the right path! It's impossible to know for sure who will develop blockages, but research shows that a healthier diet and more exercise reduce your risk - keep it up!

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center