Includes Expert Content
Fatigue after sitting
BrendaNY posted:
I had a heart attack over 16 years ago, only 5% of my heart was affected. I workout daily, at least 30 minutes a day as well as weight training. Fatigue is an issue after sitting, even for a brief car ride. I can feel great in the morning but if I sit in a meeting for an extended time or ride in a car I suddenly feel exhausted. Since I can't suddenly get up and move around either in a car or a meeting, is there something I can be doing to get my energy back? I eat very healthy, am at target weight and all my bloodwork is within normal range. I'm dumbfounded that this happens.

billh99 responded:
Have you been seen by a cardiologist recently?

Maybe a Holter monitor will show an electrical problem with the heart.

BrendaNY replied to billh99's response:
I've wore one for an extended period of time and it never showed anything. But then even when I was having the heart attack the ekg showed no changes. Sometimes if I eat too much - not calories wise but something that really fills my stomach I am extremely tired as well. It just hits without explanation. I was thinking it had something to do with being sedentary but not knowing if there was anything I could do about it. My blood pressure is low - not too low but reasonable. I have a higher heart rate but they said that is just me.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
I'm honestly not sure. Sometimes people who sit for a while can experience a reduction in their blood pressure when they get up quickly. Being dehydrated could contribute to fatigue like this - but it's difficult to say. It's a great idea to have regular follow up with a cardiologist if you've had a heart attack - now might be the time to get checked out!

BrendaNY replied to James Beckerman, MD, FACC's response:
thank you. As I was doing more research yesterday I hit on dehydration, too. I have been yelled at for it in the past so I started drinking a lot more water to see if it helps. I hate getting up so often but if it helps my energy it will be worth it.