Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Can stress cause chest pain?
sissy19762003 posted:
my husband is 37 and is having chest pains and it is in the middle of his chest i want to know if stress can cause chest pains?

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

Stress may/can cause symptoms such as chest pain, and even wreak havoc on the entire body.

Medical rule of thumb, ANY bothersome, concerning, troublesome, worrisome, worsening or new symptom(s) should be reported to a qualified doctor promptly.

In general-only here, chest/thoracic area (right, left, upper, lower, center/middle, side) pain, stationary or radiating elsewhere, with or without accompanying symptoms, has various causes, cardiac and non-cardiac, which includes, but is not limited to, pulmonary, gastrointestinal, musculoskeletal, and psychological/psychogenic.

Additionally, of the various types/kinds of heart conditions, some which can at occur at ANY AGE, symptoms may/can be acute (occurring suddenly), be chronic (occurring over a long period of time), come and go (be transient, fleeting or episodic) or even be silent.

Best of luck to your husband and you down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-
WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

NEVER delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on WebMD.

IF YOU have a medical emergency CALL 911.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
It definitely can - but so can heart disease and other causes.

I'd recommend that he see his health care provider to talk about it.

cvcman replied to James Beckerman, MD, FACC's response:
Please tell me this is a joke...IF your husband is getting center chest pains are yo really going to come on the internet for a diagnosis ???
He needs at the least a full work up with blood work and EKG and an ech stress test, I really dont understand why anyone would come here with chest pain symptoms and look for an answer...
So if we say " yes its stress" and he has a heart attack.....order a stress test ASAP

sissy19762003 replied to cvcman's response:
we have but they did not find anything and it is my worries so i know what is going on with him because the dr's will not tell me anything ok i also know what heart attects is so i know it is not one of those i just wanted someone elses openion ok ty every much
by the way the dr's told me if i have any concerns to check here first

cvcman replied to sissy19762003's response:
So... he has had an echo stress test ??? If so it showed nothing ?? And your Dr told you to check the internet for symptoms ??
You need a new Dr.....

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center