Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Palipations
gailci posted:
While asleep, has anyone had strong palipations that work you up? You feel your heart and neck beating it makes you crazy. As well as driving suddenly you get the palipations attack again? And has anyone have it last a few days straight miss a day come back. then a week will pass and nothing, then it starts up again? I do not drink coffee or herbal stimulants. I do not get stressed out nor do I get anexity.I do have a strong heart murmur, I get palipations while walking up stairs. I get tried quickly. and I did have heart surgery 5 yrs ago for aneurysm. And what can you do to stop them at night? calming teas, drink milk? Thank you

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
I'd avoid caffeine - especially at night

Given your history of open heart surgery, I'd actually suggest talking to your doctor about wearing a heart monitor for a few days - it might pick up an abnormal heart rhythm which correlates with your symptoms - that way you'd know how to approach it best.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

Besides certain prescription drugs to treat palpitations, some individuals here, and in other forums/message boards, have mentioned that taking a magnesium supplement (and with their doctor being made aware of this) alone has helped, and in some cases, eliminated palpitations, be it occurring during the day, night (while resting or sleeping) or both.

Additionally, as applicable, the most common type of palpitations, premature ventricular contractions (PVCs, occurs even in many heart-healthy individuals), has various causes or triggers, cardiac and non-cardiac in origin.

Often, PVCs are typically harmless (benign), be it isolated (single), couplets (2-in-row), triplets (3-in-a-row) or salvos (short bursts of 3 or more in-a-row), bigeminy (occurring every other beat), trigeminy (occurring every third beat), quadrigeminy (occurring every fourth beat), etc., etc.

However, the main problem or concern (even more so, much more emphasized for those with certain major or serious heart conditions) with PVCs is if/when sustained ventricular tachycardia (runs of PVCs over 30 seconds) occurs.

PVCs may/can occur with/in the presence of bradycardia (heart rate under 60 BPM), tachycardia (heart rate over 100 BPM).

Symptoms that may/can occur wih PVCs includes none at all or chest pain/discomfort/pressure/tightness, difficulty breathing, lightheadedness/dizziness, and in uncommon to rare cases, near-syncope or syncope (temporary loss of consciousness, includes fainting and passing out).

Take extra-good care,

CardioStar*

-

-

Be well-informed

MedicineNet

Palpitations

http://www.medicinenet.com/Palpitations/article.htm

eHealthMD

http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/palpitations/PAL_whatis.html

Heart Rhythm Society

Patient and Public Information Center

http://www.hrspatients.org/patients

It's your future......be there.

gailci replied to James Beckerman, MD, FACC's response:
Thank you for replying I sincerely appreciate it. It's easier to ask questions on this website, because you will not put me in the easy catagory. Stress in my life. If I have no control over an issue why get upset there is no reason. Once again I thank you

gailci replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
Thank you for replying I respect the knowledge from this website.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC replied to gailci's response:
Happy to help!

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center