Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Heart Attack?
Katishome posted:
Im back with another ? Friday evening after a day of working outside. Didnt work to hard as Im not in great shape and tire easy I came in took a shower and put some rice on to boil and then started having pain in my chest, in my left arm all the way up to my jaw, neck and even ears! I was short of breath so I sat down to let it pass. This has happened one other time as I was laying in bed but it was not as bad as this. Finally after 30 min. it stopped. Then my head started hurting, not bad but like a normal headache. I should have went to the ER but I am just not happy with the way our ER works around here. So I figure I would wait and try to get in ans see a heart Dr. on Mon. Hopefully! I pretty sure with my back ground I was having a Heart Attack. Now Im scared to death something is going to happen before I can get in to see the DR. I have all the signs of someone who is setting their selve up for a heart attack. I drink colas everyday not just one but 5 or more depending, smoke, dont eat right and get no exercise. I can walk from one end of my house to the other and Im out of breath. So i just need to hear someone tell me what they think! Also do you HAVE to have a family history of heart attackes? The only person I know of in my family dying from heart attack is my granpa in the 70's. I will have to ask my mother about any others. Well I guess thats it for now. Just nervous and waiting for monday! Thanks!

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"Do you HAVE to have a family history of heart attacks?"

No.

You have COPD, once again, do quit smoking ASAP!

As posted previously in reply, smoking increases the circulating levels of catecholamines and free fatty acids, which may contribute to the increased level of total cholesterol and decreased levels of high-density lipoprotein ("good" cholesterol) that are found in habitual cigarette smokers.

The effects on platelets may enhance coagulation (blood clotting). There can be accelerated coronary and peripheral vascular disease, and occurrence of a dreaded stroke and complications from hypertension.

The greatest concern is the acceleration or aggravation of cardiovascular disease. Smoking can promote atherosclerotic vascular disease by contributing to high cholesterol, endothelial injury (damaging the sensitive inner lining of the walls of the arteries), or both.

Complications of hypertension are more severe in those who smoke cigarettes. Smoking can also aggravate hypertension by causing vasoconstriction (tightening of the vessels).

Also, some with MVP may experience chest area symptoms that may radiate elsewhere.,

Additionally, as reported by Stanford University several years ago, more women than men have died of cardiovascular disease in every year since 1984, though exactly why that is remains unclear.

According to the Women and Cardiovascular Disease Facts overview on the American Heart Association's Website -

More women die from heart disease, stroke and other cardiovascular diseases (CVD) than men, yet many women do not realize they are at risk. These diseases kill more women each year than the next five causes of death combined.

The contributing factors for this epidemic include, lack of knowledge, gender differences, and diagnosis and treatment disparities. Women are less likely than men to receive aggressive diagnosis and treatment for CVD.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

-

-

Be well-informed

USA Today

Just one cigarette can harm DNA, Surgeon General says

12/9/10

"Tobacco smoke damages almost every organ in your body," says Surgeon General Regina Benjamin. In someone with underlying heart disease, she says, "One cigarette can cause a heart attack."

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/health/2010-12-09-1Asmoking09_st_N.htm

-

WebMD

Heart Attack in Women: Different Symptoms, Different Outcomes

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20120221/heart-attacks-women-different-symptoms-different-outcomes

- -

WOMEN & Heart Attack

The whole disease is poorly understood in women, from the expression of the symptoms all the way down to some of the basic mechanisms. The disease has a very broad spectrum, and more men are at one side and more women are at the other side.

-

Heart attack

It is reported that many females experience warning signs/symptoms a month or two in advance. In descending order of occurrence, they are unusual tiredness or fatigue, sleep disturbance, dyspnea, indigestion, anxiety, racing heart and weak/heavy arms.

During actual heart attacks, symptoms reported in females, in descending order were dyspnea, weakness, unusual fatigue, cold sweat, dizziness, nausea and weak/heavy arms.

Additionally

WOMEN and Coronary Artery Dsease (CAD)

60% of women who die suddenly (sudden cardiac death) from CAD have no previous symptoms. Women are less likely to notice they have a heart problem. Women with heart disease often have symptoms different from men, instead of classic chest pain or pressure (angina pectoris), they may report dyspnea, fatigue, indigestion and anxiety. Making an accurate diagnosis of heart disease in women is often more challenging than it is in men.

-

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Katishome replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
As a matter of fact I do have a family history of Heart Attacks! I just never asked! My great-grandfather, my grandfather, my uncle, my grandmother had heart Disease, the others died from heart attacks! So what now? I know I should stop smoking. i would and have tried but I live with a smoker. I am FOR SURE what happened to me was a mild heart attack! I know what MVP feels like and anxiety. I made appt. with heart dr. but cant see me till tomm. I am very upset that these Drs. just dont take anything seriously. I have spent the whole weekend worried! I am very tired and short of breath. Im just very upset and scared and its been a looong weekend of waiting. Going to the ER here is a waste of time. get blood pressure, listen to ur heart and send u home with a 3,000.00 dollar bill!! been there done that! Thanks anyway for ur help!

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
When symptoms like this happen, I really do recommend that you seek medical attention. Even if you are not crazy about your local medical care, I bet it's still better than doing nothing at all!

Katishome replied to James Beckerman, MD, FACC's response:
Im going in to see a Dr. this morn. Thanks for all the info!

James Beckerman, MD, FACC replied to Katishome's response:
Good - if you like, please let us know that everything's okay.

thomasmite996 replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
Nice information about most important topic. Heart attack is the most common and fast grown disease in men.
It is due to high level of cholesterol and blood pressure.
It also due to depression, tension, stress and other typical factors. Heart attack is star with a chest pain and increase with a passage of time...

DoubleTroubleB replied to Katishome's response:
They don't take you seriously...is it perhaps because you don't take it seriously considering chosen lifestyle? Just asking as I am a heart patient. Always insist on an EKG!! Request a copy when they run it to keep in your records. I'm getting lots of hints as women's heart health is under treated. Best to you!!

Katishome replied to DoubleTroubleB's response:
This is my first visit to heart dr. He took me very seriously as he is running all kinds of tests! So I dont know anything as of yet about the test will find out next week. I can tell you this, I take charge of my health! I live in a small town where most of the DRs. are quacks and cant even diagnose a cold. I tell my family DR. WHAT I WANT and he does it. To many years I let Drs. take my money doing unnessary testing. Not no more but Im not gonna play around with this. I just thought maybe i could get around without taking a stress test as I have no Ins. But since I didnt hear back from the good Dr. on here I did it anyway. Thanks for your comment and have a great day!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Katishome's response:
Katishome - good to hear about the doctor. Advocating for your own health is always a good strategy!

Please come back and let us know how the test turned out. Sending positive thoughts to you -

Haylen

ppmickey responded:
This is not what you should be using if you think you are having a heart attack. It sounds like you are a candidate for having one and might have had one. Not being happy with the ER should have no bearing when you think you are having a heart attack. Waiting for answers here is not reasonable thinking. You needed to have called an ambulance immediately and have been taken to the ER. Even the emergency medical responders would have had some idea whether you were having a heart attack or not. I can't believe you are waiting all this time to find out. You could die before Monday. Get help now. It could be a heart attack and letting it go could cause heart damage that can't be undone. Best of luck to you and quit using this as an emergency room contact. That's not what this site is for.

Katishome replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks Haylen, the test where all negative! wonderful news considering my back ground! I just couldnt believe it!!

Thanks
Kit!

Katishome replied to ppmickey's response:
Dear ppmickey, turns out everything is fine!

Kit

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center