Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Weird chest sensations after stent installed
An_244382 posted:
It has been 9 days since three stents were installed in my heart. During
and angiogram that revealed I had 100% blockage in one artery, 98% blockagge in another and 50% blockage in a third, three stents were installed.
I go for follow up in two days so my questions may be answered then, however, since I've had these stents installed I have felt a prickly irritating feeling in the left side of my chest which I believe is in my heart. This dull annoying scratchy feeling has been present almost 100% of the time since the surgery.
At first I figured it was just normal post surgery feelings and when I asked the cardiologist about it before leaving the hospital he didn't seem concerned. It hasn't gone away and at times has temporarily gotten worse but always returns to this dull anoyying ache?
Has anyone got suggestions of what this may be? I've read some other forums in which people are experincing the same sensation but no one seems to be able to provide an answer of what exactly it is.
Thankyou
Recently Broken Heart

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"I have felt a prickly irritating feeling in the left side of my chest which I believe is in my heart. This dull annoying scratchy feeling has been present almost 100% of the time since the surgery."

"I've read some other forums in which people are experincing the same sensation......"

Hmmmmmm interesting, I haven't heard.read that, however, worth mentioning here, for future reference, as reported, chest (not stent) discomfort or pain following successful percutaneous coronary interventions such as angioplasty, with or without coronary stenting, may/can occur (though considered uncommon, judging by the sheer number of stents implanted worldwide each year), and such discomfort or pain may/can be indicative of acute coronary artery closure (angioplasty-only), coronary artery spasm (angioplasty-only or occurring near the stented site), or heart attack, but may also be due to local coronary artery trauma, coronary artery wall stretching, or may be deemed "idiopathic" (no known cause, cause unknown).

The bottom line

Coronary stents (bare-metal or drug-eluting) are only a Band-aid or spot-treatment, as it doesn't address the disease process and what drives the progression.

Coronary artery disease (CAD) is a lifelong unpredictable (may/can exhibit periods of stabilization, acceleration and even some regression) condition requiring a continuum of care.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

WebMD

Living with Heart Disease

Coronary artery disease (CAD)

CAD is a chronic disease with no cure. When you have CAD, it is important to take care of your heart.....

This is especially true if you have had an interventional procedure or surgery to improve blood flow to the heart../It is up to you to take steps.....

Recognize the symptoms......

Reduce your risk factors......

Take your medications......

See your doctor for regular check-ups...

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/living-with-heart-disease

-

Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack (stroke)

Epidemiologic studies (EDS) have revealed risk factors (encompasses some new, novel or emerging) for atherosclerosis, which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, alfunction or mutation), diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes second/thirdhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, LOW HDL (less than 40 mg/dL, an HDL level of 60/65 mg/dL or more is considered protective against coronary artery disease), high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

HeartSite

Coronary artery anatomy

Starting with the left anterior descending (LAD), the most critical, next to the ultra-critical left main (LM).

http://www.heartsite.com/html/lad.html

-

Quote!

Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

An_244382 replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
Okay, so if anyone is wondering. The scratchy prickly sensations I felt in my chest were not at all post surgery anything. Upon inquiring about them to the doctor I was immediately hospitalized and underwent a second surgery where it was decided one more stent was needed. Got home from the hospital yesterday and am feeling much better.
Bottom line...if your having chest pain...call 911!
God Bless
Recently Broken Heart

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to An_244382's response:
Thank you for the update - I'm so glad you contacted your doctor!

Here's some more information about when to call the doctor and when to go to the Emergency Room:

When to call the doctor about heart disease

I'm glad you're home from the hospital and feeling better

Haylen

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Coffee Can Lower Depression Risk in WomenGuest Expert
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204010604576594853506227020.html More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center