Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sudden HDL drop, and optional hernia surgery
deadmanwalking57 posted:
My HDL dropped from a high of 48 six months ago, to 39. My LDL is a fairly safe 67, giving me a ratio of 1.7. But I can't find anything to suggest why my HDL took a nose dive. Has anyone ever seen any information about this ?

I have almost no diet changes. Less white rice, more brown rice. More oregano, some added turkey. Cook with PAM more.

And I have a minor hernia, that does not bother me. But my primary care doctor wants me to have it repaired. Go under the knife and anasthesia for something won't harm me and isn't bothering me ? Its covered, mostly by my HMO.

Thanks for any ideas or advice.

billh99 responded:
Have had any change in meds, including amounts, or supplements?

I believe that there might be a seasonal affect, both from the amount of visible light and vit D from the sun.

But I have not been able to prove it from my own readings. Too many co-factors.

But 10/04/11 LDL - 61, HDL -61
3/26/12 LDL - 59, HDL - 55.

3 weeks before the first reading I went from 1 to 4 grams of fish oil for dry eyes and don't know if it had the max effect in that time period.

And before the Oct reading it was mostly endurance outdoor exercise. Swimming and long bike rides.

In the winter it was mostly at the Y will shorter time period exercises.

And I have a minor hernia, that does not bother me. But my primary care doctor wants me to have it repaired. Go under the knife and anasthesia for something won't harm me and isn't bothering me ? Its covered, mostly by my HMO.

Mine did not bother me either and had it for a number of years. But it kept enlarging.

Still did bother me, but I was getting concerned about the size. And my PCP panicked when he saw the size. I probably should have had it fixed a year (or more) earlier.

I am not sure, but I suspect that it can be done under a local. Ask about it.

My concern is that in 5-10 years it might be needed and the surgery riskier at that time.

billh99 responded:
PS - this is the only forum that I have ever seen that does not allow editing.

Anyway I forgot to add this.

From my reading the best single indicator of cholesterol "health" is non-HDL cholesterol. It is representative of ApoB100 and LDL partical count.

The recommend level is no more than 30 higher than the LDL target. In our case that would be 70 30.

It is TC - HDL.

Mine was 70 for those last 2 readings so the minor change in HDL does not concern me.

deadmanwalking57 replied to billh99's response:
Bill:

Thanks for the reply. 9 points from 48 to 39 is almost 20%. I would expect no increase with small changes, not a huge decrease.

At work, the salad bar rarely has tofu anymore, and never both tuna and tofu. I had both four times a week with lunch the past couple years. That has been the biggest diet change the past six months. And less soy nuts in dark chocolate.

DMW

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center