Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
LVDD and CHF question
Debsbears posted:
Hi I saw my Cardio Dr yesterday and he told me that the heart is a muscle and that my LVDD is caused by an Autonomic Dysfunction that I have. We don't have a name for the Dysfunction yet - but is causing problems with my lungs, esophagus, small intestines, bladder and colon as well as causing muscle spams throughout my body.

Have you heard that the Autonomic Dysfunction can cause the LVDD? He also said that I do not have CHF I just have a fluid over load caused by the AD, do you know where I can go to get info about these issues?

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

Thanks for the update.

"He told me that the heart is a muscle."

Definitely it is,

The heart muscle or cardiac muscle is medically termed myocardium (myo = muscle).

"Have you heard that the Autonomic Dysfunction can cause the LVDD?"

Yes, especially with having POTS, though I don't think this specific connection has been discussed here before.

As reported, the autonomic nervous system (ANS) is the part of the nervous system that controls involuntary actions, such as the beating of the heart and the widening or narrowing of the blood vessels.

If/when something goes wrong (dysfunction) in this system, it may/can cause serious problems, which includes, but is not limited to, blood pressure problems, heart problems, trouble breathing and swallowing.

ANS disorders can occur alone or as the result of another disease, such as Parkinson's, alcoholism and diabetes. Problems can affect either part of the system, or all of the system. Some types are temporary, but many worsen over time. If/when they affect breathing or heart function, these disorders can be life-threatening.

Some ANS disorders get better when an underlying disease is treated. Often, however, there is no cure. In that case, the goal of treatment is to improve symptoms.

"I just have a fluid overload caused by the AD,"

As reported, fluid overload (hypervolemia ) is the medical term describing when there is too much fluid in the blood. This fluid, primarily salt and water, builds up in various locations in the body and leads to an increase in weight, swelling in the legs and arms (peripheral edema), and/or in the
abdomen/stomach (ascites).

Eventually, the fluid enters the air spaces in the lungs, reduces the amount of oxygen that can enter the blood, and causes shortness of breath (dyspnea). Fluid can also collect in the lungs when lying down at night and can make nighttime breathing and sleeping difficult (paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea, PND).

Fluid overload can be caused by many reasons, including problems with the heart (includes left ventricular diastolic dysfunction/LVDD and left ventricular systolic dysfunction/LVSD), kidneys, lungs or a combination of any of these vital organs. Fluid overload can also can occur after certain surgical operations. Congestive heart failure (CHF) is the most common reason for fluid overload.

Take extra-good care,

CardioStar*

-

-

Learn About the

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

How the Heart Pumps

Animated Tutorial

http://your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/heartpump-tutorial.html

-

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests i(commonly performed, mainstream types) nfo, diagnostic images

http://www.heartsite.com

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who and ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future....be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Debsbears replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
Thank you very much CardioStar Your info is always detailed in such a way one can understand it and not just a sentence or two. Thank you for helping out the many that you do.

My Cardio Dr said I need to go to Mayo Clinic in MN to figure out all that is going on in the whole body not just bits and pieces - so when I told him I already have an appt. in June he said please keep it they will at least give you an answer not a cure maybe a name to this all.

I will have to update you in July when I return from Mayo again thank you. Deb.

cardiostarusa1 replied to Debsbears's response:
You're welcome. Glad to help whenever I can.

Looking forward to your update post-Mayo Clinic
appointment.

Take extra-extra good care.

C*

-

-

It's your future......be there.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

To keep a Healthy heart
Try concentrate on cholesterol free food ,reduce or totally avoid tobacco smoking and exercisefor about 30 minutes. More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center