Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
lad stent 1-1/2 yrs ago, HDL is 102,LDL is 75, OK ?
cvcman posted:
I know they want your LDL below 70 but with my HDL being so good does that mean I have wiggle room in my LDL ?
My Trys are 45...weight is 142 im 5'9" tall and a 53 yr old male.
I run 4-5 miles everyday or bike 20-30 on the days I dont run...

My bp is 102/65 or lower, resting hr is 45....I just dont want to go on any meds to try to lower the LDL

billh99 responded:
I am not a medical profession, just a patient. But I follow as much of the research as I can.

Looking at the research ON THEAVERAGE, an LDL <70 has better out comes those above 70.

But there is not a huge difference between those that have an LDL of 75 and those that have an LDL of 70.

But that is based on the average of large number of persons.

That does not guarantee the outcome of any specific person. There are just too many variables.

Personally I would not be concerned about an LDL of 75.

BUT statins reduce the probability of needing a second revascularization or having another MI over and above the amount of LDL reduction that they provide.

The help stabilize plaque,. reduce inflammation, and help improve the health of the blood vessels.

cvcman replied to billh99's response:
kinda was looking for a Dr to answer but thx for your reply

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
You are right that the recommendations are to bring the LDL less than 70. But the interesting question is - is it the actual LDL, or is it the non-LDL-lowering contributions of statin therapy that actually bring the benefit?

You may have heard that statins have antioxidant, antiinflammatory, and antiplatelet characteristics that may actually be responsible for the statin's overall benefits.

So given that you have a history of coronary disease, it may be worth discussing a very lose statin with your doctor for that possible added benefit (beyond LDL lowering).

Hope that's helpful!

cvcman replied to James Beckerman, MD, FACC's response:
I am on Simvistatin now

James Beckerman, MD, FACC replied to cvcman's response:
That seems to sound like a good idea. I'm glad you discussed it with your doctor. I wish you all the best going forward!

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center