Skip to content
STEMI Heart Attack
jcbiv posted:
I sufferred a STEMI heart attack on 5/22 and rushed to the hospital via hhelicopter. The attack resulted in a 2nd stent and an EF of 30, left vntricle. Cardiomyopathy is such an 'underspecified' term...The closest I can get to a proper 'cause' in my research is dilated cardiomyopathy. Is this correct?? What are the proper parameters/sources I should use to research my condition, treatments and prognosis? I am 56 with diabetes, COPD and am now at home awaiting a Cardiac Rehab. evaluation. Thanks

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"Cardiomyopathy is such an 'underspecified' term."

Cardiomyopathy is a heart muscle disease, a serious condition, often leading to/causing heart failure/congestive heart failure.

As applicable to the patient, to know what can be done for the condition, one must understand the specific type of cardiomoypathy he or she has, such as dilated (DCM), hypertrophic (HCM), or restrictive (RCM).

WebMD

Cardiomyopathy

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/muscle-cardiomyopathy

"I sufferred a STEMI heart attack"

During a heart attack (myocardial infarction, MI, actual death or necrosis of heart muscle cells/tissue), the heart's electrical conduction goes through a series of changes/abnormalities (as seen with an electrocardiogram, ECG).

Elevation of the ST segment is the hallmark abnormality of an acute MI. It occurs when the heart muscle (myocardium) is being injured by a lack of blood flow and oxygen and is also called "current of injury".

STEMI is an ST-elevation myocardial infarction, also referred to as a Q wave myocardial infarction and NSTEMI is a non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction, also referred to as a non-Q wave myocardial infarction.

STEMI or Q wave MI usually corresponds to a transmural MI, affecting the entire/full thickness of the heart muscle, the worst type (has a substantially higher mortality rate.

A NSTEMI usually corresponds to non-transmural or a subendocardial MI, less damaging than a Q wave/STEMI, as the heart muscle just under the sensitive inner lining of the heart is affected (lower mortality rate, though this type of incomplete MI poses a high risk for reinfarction, or completing the infarction).

WHAT HAPPENS AFTER A HEART ATTACK (and down the road) mainly depends on what specific area(s) of the heart muscle (myocardium) were damaged (infarcted), size and depth of the damage, and if there has been any previous damage or other serious/severe heart condition(s) exist.

Cell/tissue death does not occur immediately (once the artery is 100% blocked, with no, or insufficient coronary artery collateral circulation). It takes several minutes to start the injury process, which then continues on (evolves, in phases) for several hours, unless the artery is opened up. restoring blood flow.

Prompt treatment
can limit the damage, but the damage that has been already done is permanent/irreversible (though some ongoing clinical trials are showing promise for making heart damage reversible).

After a completed heart attack, the body heals the heart damage caused by it by forming scar tissue. This healing process is usually complete in 4-8 weeks.

Also, after a heart attack has occurred, it is important to know/keep track of the left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF), the single-most important clinical indicator of heart function, how well the heart is pumping.

Normal resting range is 50%-75%. Under 50% enters into the realm of dysfuncyionl territory that goes from mild to moderate to severe heart failure.

Cleveland Clinic

Understanding Your Ejection Fraction

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/disorders/heartfailure/ejectionfraction.aspx

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

How the Heart Pumps

Animation

http://your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/heartpump-tutorial.html

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

WebMD DOES NOT endorse any specific product, service, or treatment.

jcbiv replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
Thank you! Where can i find the stats on survival of a STEMI heart attack with a resulting LVEF of 30? What other info. do I need to know about my condition to more specifically research my case?

cardiostarusa1 replied to jcbiv's response:
You're welcome.

Start with this excellent detailed info, and of course, communicate/interact well with your doctor(s) at ALL times.

Myocardial Infarction

Prognosis

Pertinent excerpts/snippets

One third of patients who experience STEMI die within 24 hours of the onset of ischemia, and many of the survivors experience significant morbidity. However, a steady decline has occurred in the mortality rate from STEMI over the last several decades.

Acute myocardial infarction is associated with a 30% mortality rate; half of the deaths occur prior to arrival at the hospital. An additional 5-10% of survivors die within the first year after their myocardial infarction.

Approximately half of all patients with a myocardial infarction are rehospitalized within 1 year of their index event.

Overall, prognosis is highly variable and depends largely on the extent of the infarct, the residual left ventricular function, and whether the patient underwent revascularization. Better prognosis is associated with the following factors:.......

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/155919-overview#aw2aab6b2b6aa

Take good care,

CardioStar*

-

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 11 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center