Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
quick question
gailci posted:

How many times can the heart handle heart ablations?
Would a maze finally end SVT if the many ablations failed>?
What is the purpose of taking a daily asprin if you have a PFO, and why would it help?
Thank you

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"How many times can the heart handle heart ablations?"

Good question.

Some individuals on the Net have reported anywhere from 3-5 or more, though that would mainly depend on how many spots have already been treated and the specific area(s).

Here's a randomly-selected example -

Pacemaker Club - Forum Archives

Comment posted by snitch on 2010-04-13 04:02

Hi Carolyn,

There are several of us who have had five or even more ablations. If it all, ablations do very little damage to the heart muscle and by no chance one could/would burn or freeze the whole heart muscle. The spots that are ablated are usually very small, and the ablation is rather superficial because if they would burn too deep you end up with a tiny hole in your heart. I have had six ablations and my heart muscle is just fine, EF is around 60% which is pretty normal.

In your case there doesn't seem to be a need to ablate again because your av-node is already ablated and pulmonary vein isolations (ablation to treat AF) don't work well in patients who have permanent AF which is why you had your av-node ablated instead.

"Would a maze finally end SVT if the many ablations failed"

MAZE, and any variation thereof, including the paracardioscopic EX-MAZE (PEX) minimally invasive procedure, was designed to treat atrial fibrillation (a-fib/AF), which makes a "maze-like" pattern specifically on the atria.

"What is the purpose of taking a daily aspirin if you have a PFO, and why would it help?"

To prevent/reduce the chance of a brain attack/stroke from occurring. May/can aso be protective form death in that aspect.

CardioStar*

-

-

It's your future......be there.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
A MAZE procedure is generally intended to prevent atrial fibrillation. Ablations may be done several times, but it's important to discuss individual details with a doctor.

There is some concern that a PFO or ASD may be associated with a higher risk of stroke, primarily from a small blood clot crossing the septum through the hole, and then going to the brain.

The thinking behind a daily aspirin would be to prevent those clots, and therefore prevent those strokes - there is debate around this however, as there isn't good data to support having everyone with a PFO (upwards of 1 in 5 people!) take an aspirin every day - especially given potential side effects like bleeding.

gailci replied to James Beckerman, MD, FACC's response:
Thank you all very much for your support and answers. What I have been told SVT at times goes into A-Fib for a short time. For the past 6 yrs I thought it would go all away. Whatever God's plan is for me at the age of 53 I wish he would make his mind up. THis is getting old and exhausting.
Many thanks again

cardiostarusa1 replied to gailci's response:
You're welcome.

"Whatever God's plan is for me at the age of 53 I wish he would make his mind up."

This brings to mind a saying that I've heard -

Life asks of you what it thinks you can handle, but there are days when you think it has asked too much.

Hope everything works out as well as humanly possible for you, down the road of life.

CardioStar*

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center