Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
A little alcohol is good, except ...
deadmanwalking57 posted:
A little alcohol is good, unless one is a non-drinker, correct ?

But if one or two servings a day for a man boosts his HDL, do the dangers of even minor alcohol consumption supercede the benefits of the increased HDL ?

I rarely drink ever. But my HDL recently took a nosedive of 9 points from 47 to 38, after a slow and steady five year increase of those same 9 points. A local store sells a pomegranate wine, so I thought I would have 5 ounces with dinner most nights. I don't particularly like wine, so it really is "medicinal".

I do take a few medications, Vytorin, Plavix until three weeks a go, a tiny dose of metoprolol twice daily, and Ranexa.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17651077

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=pomegranate%20wine%20hdl

billh99 responded:
Observational studies have shown that moderate consumers of alcohol have lower mortality from all causes.

However, with observational studies it is not always possible accurately isolate the true activity that makes the improvement.

There have been several observational studies that indicated that people that took a vitamin supplement had been health.

But when test with RCT that was not true.

I don't think that there has been any studies where alcohol was added to the diet.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
Research studies suggest that modest alcohol consumption (as in 1-2 drinks a day) is associated with about a 20% lower risk of heart disease. Interestingly, a drink a day increases the risk of breast cancer for women - so it's always important to view risk and benefit holistically.

The exact reasons for its benefits (in heart disease) are not entirely known. While it boosts HDL, alcoholic beverages also have some anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-clotting characteristics that could play a role.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center