Skip to content
Should i get a second opinion?
Debood posted:
I am a 21 year old male, and for atleast the past few years, i noticed sometimes i have heart palpitations/racing heartbeat/occasional chest pain. It usually seemed to happen when i exert myself or am really stressed or tired. Though i never seem to have any other symptoms with it (No dizziness, fainting, or nausea)

I ended up going to the E.R a few months ago because my heart was racing extremely fast for about an hour and wouldnt slow down. They ran numerous tests, did EKG's, took X-Rays of my chest and heart, and a few weeks later i came back for a Sonogram and the Treadmill Stress Test. They said everything appeared to be healthy, and i should cut caffeine out of my diet (Which i did)

Though it is only a few months later and i still tend to have the heart racing/palpitations and the occasional chest pain (Which seems to happen if my heart starts racing for too long). Finding it fairly hard to get back into any sort of exercising habits when it hits me out of nowhere. Could it be that i might have some undiagnosed condition? Or that the stress from fearing an attack is causing even more of them.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

Should I get a second opinion?

Seems warranted, even if it turns out being only for getting some peace of mind.

"They ran numerous tests, did EKGs, took X-rays of my chest and heart, and a few weeks later I came back for a sonogram and the treadmill stress test. They said everything appeared to be healthy."

Sometimes, a condition can be misinterpreted, overlooked or completely missed with this or that type of diagnostic test.
Also, of the various types/kinds of heart conditions, some which can occur at ANY AGE symptoms may/can be acute (occurring suddenly), be chronic (occurring over a long period of time), come and go (be transient, fleeting or episodic) or even be silent.

"I noticed sometimes I have heart palpitations/racing heartbeat/occasional chest pain."

The most common type of palpitations, premature ventricular contractions (PVCs, occurs even in many heart-healthy individuals), has various causes or triggers, cardiac and non-cardiac.

Often, PVCs are typically harmless, be it isolated (single), couplets (2-in-row), triplets (3-in-a-row) or salvos (short bursts of 3 or more in-a-row), bigeminy (occurring every other beat), trigeminy (occurring every third beat), quadrigeminy (occurring every fourth beat), etc., etc.

However, the main problem or concern (even more so, much more emphasized for those with certain major or serious heart conditions) with PVCs is if/when sustained ventricular tachycardia (runs of PVCs over 30 seconds) occurs.

Symptoms that may/can occur wih PVCs includes none at all or chest pain/discomfort/pressure/tightness, difficulty breathing, lightheadedness/dizziness, and in uncommon to rare cases, near-syncope or syncope (temporary loss of consciousness, includes fainting and passing out).

"My heart was racing extremely fast for about an hour and wouldn't slow down"

As applicable, there is a condition commonly known as supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) or paroxsymal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT), which has various causes (or triggers.

PSVT typically causes a frightening burst/surge in heart/pulse rate that begins/starts and ends/stops suddenly (hence the term paroxsymal), which can last for just mere seconds or it can continue on for minutes to hours to days.
SVT can send the heart into speeds up to 150-200 BPM, and sometimes, even as high as 300 BPM.

Symptoms that may/can occur with SVT, PSVT includes chest pain/discomfort/pressure/tightness, shortness of breath, lightheadedness/dizziness, and in uncommon to rare cases, syncope (temporary loss of consciousness, which includes passing out or fainting). Sometimes there can be no symptoms at all.

Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

WebMD

Heart Disease TYPES

Men and Women

Acquired in life or congenital (born with it)

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-disease-men

Heart Disease SYMPTOMS

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/heart-disease-symptoms

Mayo Clinic

Heart Disease

Symptoms. Complications. Tests and diagnosis. Treatments and drugs. Prevention...

Heart disease is a broad term used to describe a range of diseases that affect your heart and sometimes....

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-disease/DS01120

-

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests info, actual diagnostic images.

http://www.heartsite.com

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD forums does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

billh99 responded:
Talk to the cardiologist about an event monitor test.

That is a small (about the size of a pack of cigarettes) EKG that you wear. And when you have an event you push a button and the heart rhythm is captured.

It can then be uploaded for the cardiologist to examine.

This will be done for 30-90 days.

If the episodes are frequent there is a similar Holter monitor test that is used for 24-48 hrs.

Debood responded:
Thanks for the replies. I'll have to ask my doctor about that event monitor. He offered it before but said it seemed unneeded.

Though maybe i just really need that peace of mind of knowing nothing is wrong (Or that there is something wrong that can be fixed or explained)

jmich1 responded:
Wow, I have had this same exact issue going on for 6 yrs now, it has totally brought my life to a screeching halt. I get racing heart palpitations with bi and trigemeny that last for 1-1hr or longer. I went to the hospital when it first happened and had the gambit of heart tests done, even a event monitor but of course it didnt hapen the 2 days it was on. I try to explain it to everyone and tel them how badly this effects my life. The attacks have gotten longer and easier to set off over time.I cant take a shower without having palpitations and sometimes setting off a attack. I have to lay down and for some reason that sometimes elieves the palpitations, although not the raing heart.I have to mentally ignore it and try to get my heart back into a reg rythm. This came on all of a sudden one day, it just happned. I had always gotten palpitations but only 1 or 2 then nothing.So far I have been told it is anxiety but it seems like more. It happens 90% of the time when I start to exert myself, I have gained almost 100lbs due to my lack of activity now. I wish they coud figure out what this is and fix it. We may or may nt be suffering the same thing although you are the only person I have ever seen discribe it exactly like I get it. If you find anything out please please let me know, so I can give my doctors an ave to try. I will do the same. ty and good luck to you. Email: jmich619@comcast.net

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center