Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Central Heat and Air, and Reduced Heart attacks?
bobby75703 posted:
People think I'm nuts when I cite modern day central heat and air playing a role in the decline of vascular disease after 1970.

Few people had central air before 1970, if they had A/C at all. The growth of central Air coincides with the decline in heart disease in the US. Of course association doesn't prove causation, but there may be a link.

We know that heart attacks are more likely to occur in extreme temperature conditions, hot or cold. But it may go beyond that.

Central A/C cleans the air. Not just the main dust filter, but thru condensation on the evaporator coil taking out the fine particulate and sending it out the drain pipe in a trickle of water.

Cleaner, dryer, more dense air is inhaled by the occupants, improving artery health.

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/1997/09.25/HeatingACReduce.html

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center