Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Aspirin vs Plavix ?
deadmanwalking57 posted:
I took a baby aspirin daily for about 30 years, but now am on only Plavix after bypass surgery. Also taking aspirin gives me small bleeders/hemorages, so I discontinued it.

Is Plavix sort of a super Aspirin, or are there benefits I miss out on by no longer taking aspirin ? Should I switch back to aspirin instead of Plavix ?

DMW

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
Plavix is typically recommended for one of two reasons:

1) You have just gotten a stent. Depending on the type of stent, plavix is recommended in addition to aspirin for one month up to one year.

2) You have had a heart attack. There are studies that suggest a benefit to taking plavix in addition to aspirin for one year after the heart attack.

Plavix is also sometimes recommended in cases of true aspirin allergies when aspirin would be recommended.

Best to talk to your own doctors about why plavix might be recommended in your situation.

deadmanwalking57 replied to James Beckerman, MD, FACC's response:
Thank you, Doctor.

I don't recall having been told all of that before. I had two stents in September of 2006, and a very minor heart attack at that time, alleviated by the 2nd stent.

I don't have aspirin allergies. But I did have, at time of my 3x CABG, additional blockages in smaller downstream arteries that were deemed inoperable. The Plavix might have been prescribed to protect those ? My original cardiologist dropped my medical plan about 2 years ago, and I now see another cardiologist.

I stopped the Plavix for a month while prepping and recovering from open hernia repair surgery, and resumed it this week.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC replied to deadmanwalking57's response:
It's true that plavix is sometimes recommended in that setting, but it's more of an off-label use that isn't really backed by good medical evidence. Not to say that it couldn't be helpful, though - we just don't really know.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center