Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Low potassium
Anon_176453 posted:
I was diagnosed with low potassium about 10 days ago. I think this is probably due to medicines used to treat my asthma, mainly steroids. My doctor gave me potassium pills to take. My blood pressure has never been high before, but has been elevated since the low potassium diagnosis. I have also had issues with muscle spasms and some heart palpitations. The heart palpitations are much better since starting the potassium. How long should it take for my potassium level to return to normal and for these symptoms to go away?

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

As reported, the length of time it takes to correct or normalize the potassium level (and resolve resulting symptoms) depends on numerous factors, and thus varies from one individual to another.

Obviously, the cause must be diagnosed/determined, and then corrected, for the individual to be able to maintain an optimal level of potassium in the body.

Also, naturally, a doctor needs to take a blood sample in order to establish the severity of the deficiency, which can help to determine the amount and form needed.

eMedicneHealth

Low Potassium - Hypokalemia

See: Causes, Symptoms

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/low_potassium/article_em.htm .
Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
It really does depend on how long your potassium levels have been and how much you are taking to supplement. It may also be impacted by why your potassium levels are low - for example, in someone who has been losing potassium from diuretic medications for a long period of time, it could take more time to replete potassium stores.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center