Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Aorta Turosity
pamhoyt posted:
Is Mild turosity of the aorta a serious condition. My Dr ordered a chest Xray, AP and Lateral a couple years ago and I came across the results sheet a few days ago in my medical records. I moved and switched PCPs almost a year ago and had ordered a copy of my records. I had been seeing him for 15 years so getting them all would have been extremly expensive, so I only got the past 5 years. I finally decided to organize my home office and came across this report. The Radiology report said; "mild turosity of the aorta can be seen". This baffled me because he never even mentioned this to me. I would think that any report on even a mild condition of the AORTA would warrant him talking to me about it and a referral to a cardiologist. I'd really like to know how serious this is and what could cause it. The only thing I have found out is that "turosity" means "twisting". So, a "mild twisting of the aorta"? Anyone who knows anything about this, I'd appreciate any and all information. I do have an appointment with cardiology in a couple weeks because I've been having some angina and some symptoms of heart attack and an EKG at my new PCP showed damage to the upper area of the heart which he says is evidence of having had a heart attack but he couldn't tell when or even a rough estimate of how long ago. But he did send me to the ER immediatley and had me see a cardiologist within 48 hours and I am now scheduled for 6 hours of testing. I have Lupus and it has caused some major damage to my body but this "aorta" thing has me very concerned now.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"I have Lupus"

As reported, lupus can affect the heart/cardiovascular system in a variety of ways, ranging from infection to inflammation, often producing numerous signs and symptoms (though sometimes silent), which can lead to adverse events.

Turosity?

Tortuosity, as in tortuous (twisted, having many turns).

As reported, an uncommon abnormality is a wandering course or a tortuous/twisted aorta, one that follows an irregular, winding path from the heart distally, that is, furthest from the point of origin,

Problems with the aorta, as well as the heart itself, can cause various symptoms (e.g., chest pain, difficulty breathing, irregular heartbeat) or no symptoms at all.

The normal aorta (largest artery in the human body, shaped somewhat like a cane) is about 1" in diameter. Identifiable parts or sections of the aorta include the aortic root, ascending (goes upward) aorta, aortic arch (curved portion at the top of the aorta), descending aorta (going downward), thoracic aorta (chest area) and the abdominal aorta (stomach area).

Most important, communicate well with your doctors. Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD community member (since 8/99)

-

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center