Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Prinz Metal Angina
lorilynn43 posted:
Hi, I was diagnosed with Variant Angina or "Prinz Metal Angina" about 13 years ago. I realize this is rare but has anyone been diagnosed with this and gotten answers? I want to know what there is out there to prevent an occurance. I feel spasms all of the time. The spasms recently caused a TIA. (mini-stroke) All they have me on is Terazosin but all of my numbers are protective. (better than normal) I am tired of feeling the spasms and not knowing how to prevent them.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"I realize this is rare"

Prinzmetal's or variant angina (caused by coronary artery spasm, CAS) is not really rare by today's reports, more like uncommon.

"I want to know what there is out there to prevent an occurence"

Besides eliminating the known triggers (often easier said than done), calcium channel blockers (CCBs) are typcially prescribed to treat/control coronary artery spasm (CAS). Nitroglcerin (nitro) may/can be helpful as well in some individuals with CAS.

For those unfamiliar with the specific condition, coronary artery spasm (CAS) is a transient constriction or a transient total closure of a coronary artery, that may/can occur at the site of a significant blockage, or may/can occur at the site (or right near it) of a mild blockage, or where there is no visible blockage (as imaged with invasive X-ray angiography, angiogram, heart catheterization) at all.

MOST IMPORTANT: CAS may/can lead to a dreaded heart attack (myocardial infarction, MI) if/when the spasms are prolonged or are of extended-duration.

MedlinePlus - Trusted Health Information for You

Coronary artery spasm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000159.htm

Texas Heart Institute

Coronary artery spasm

http://www.texasheart.org/HIC/Topics/Cond/CoronaryArterySpasm.cfm
Most important, communicate well with your doctors. Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD community member (since 8/99)

-

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical
ad
vice, diagnosis or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center