Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
90% blockage
An_246564 posted:
I went in to the cath lab on this past Monday. When I came out the MD informed me, I have a blockage in my right coronary artery. The Right artery is full metal jacket. He didn't stent this blockage. He said all the heart muscle to the right is dead so there is no need to stent the spot. Am I going to have a MI when this spot completely closes off?
Ann

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
It sounds like your cardiologist believes that you have already had a heart attack in the region of the heart muscle that's supplied by the right coronary artery - so improving the blood flow to that area would not be expected to improve the heart function.

There are some tests that can be used to assess whether or not there is living heart muscle in that area, including a stress echocardiogram, and nuclear viability test, and an MRI. If you are interesting in pursuing things further, it may be reasonable to discuss some form of "viability study" with your doctor.

Saharane replied to James Beckerman, MD, FACC's response:
I did have a heart attack there 5 years ago caused my blood clots from spontaneous dissection in the right coronary, and two branches off there. I keep developing scar tissue to the right where it branches into two arteries. I have already had stress echos, and a PET scan in April and May. He said when nitro doesn't help my angina then I should go to the ER.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Coffee Can Lower Depression Risk in WomenGuest Expert
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204010604576594853506227020.html More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center