Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
CABGX7
An_247468 posted:
In 2007 i had CABGX7 no MI. The L side was 100% block and NO heart damage. After uncomplicated surgery i was placed om Lopressor 25mg BID i did not know it caused major depression. I was unhealthy for 5.5 yrs.I weened myself off and with in 48 hours i feet 70% better. My Dr. tells me i should be on beta blocker proved to prolong life. This drug made me very sick.. What are the alternatives? the pro and cons if i don,t take any heart med.?

Help desperate.

billh99 responded:
I am not a medical professional.

Like you I had a CABG and did not have an MI or even angina. My main blockage was in the Left Main and thus just drastically limited the amount of work that the heart could do.

So I did not have heart damage either.

I was never put on a beta blocker.

Beta blockers reduce the force and rate that the heart works. So it does help protect an injured heart.

And it also reduces blood pressure.

But current research has shown that it is not the best BP reducer and that there are other classes of BP meds that are much better.

That said I know some people with heart disease that have had problems with beta blockers and have been switched to a low dose Bystolic beta blocker and have been able to tolerated it.

What are the alternatives
With or without meds the best thing to do for you heart is a healthy lifestyle.

That is losing weight, if needed. A healthy diet. And lots of exercise.

This drug made me very sick.

With doing anything (taking a med, eating, exercise, etc) there are tradeoff of risk and reward.

Ultimately it is up to you make that decision.

But try and work with your doctor.

My Dr. tells me i should be on beta blocker proved to prolong life.

Ask him to tell you specifically why he things that. What is it about your heart condition that he thinks you need it and some one like me does not.

If he still feels that strongly need a beta blocker ask about a reduced dosage and/or different beta blocker.

And ask him about the potential harm of feeling like you where vs the harm of not having the beta blocker.

BTW, I am on a statin and 10 mg of lisinopril. That is an ACEinhibitor for BP.

I orginally started on 40 mg plus a diuretic. By losing weight and increasing exercise I was able to get it down to just the 10 mg of lisinopril.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center