Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Enlarged Heart?
    Anon_2769 posted:
    I have been seeing a cardiologist for about 3 years. The only thing they have told me about is that i have hbp and that is now under contol. I just had a chest x-ray to make sure i did not have asthma or anthing else and it said that i have an enlarged heart and that it has not changed.

    Why is my asthma doc telling me i have an enlarged heart when my cardiologist should have told me this? I'm the old age of 35 and i'm just not sure what to think about it.
    James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
    I agree that further information would be helpful - sometimes a chest xray can overestimate the size of a person's heart. It can be useful to perform an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) in these situations, so that you can determine the actual size, thickness, etc. of the heart. It's possible that your own cardiologist did this test recently and it was normal - and that's why enlargement hasn't been mentioned previously.
    cardiostarusa1 responded:

    ......"and it said that I have an enlarged heart".

    Noteworthy, there is a medical term known as the cardiothoracic ratio (CTR), which is a measurement on a routine chest X-ray (CXR) of the width of the heart divided by the width of the chest.

    Typically, a CTR greater than 50% is suggestive of an enlarged or dilated heart. Noteworthy though, in some cases, a heart may/can be greater than 50% of the cardiothoracic ratio and still be considered a normal heart.
    Also, and as seen on a resting echocardiogram (cardiac ultrasound), the entire heart (global enlargement thereof, cardiomegaly) may/can become affected or just an area of it (regional enlargement).

    "I have hbp and that is now under contol."

    There over four dozen risk factors, markers, indicators for cardiovascular disease, some iffy/questionable, new, novel emerging, with more certainly to come.

    And, as reported, a risk factor merely increases the probability that one will develop cardiovascular disease, BUT doesn't 100% guarantee that one will develop it, nor does its absence (or even the absence of ALL known risk factors) 100% guarantee that one won't have a heart attack or brain attack/stroke.

    "I'm the old age of 35"

    Of the different types/kinds of heart conditions, some which may/can occur at ANY AGE, various symptoms can be acute (occurring suddenly), be chronic (occurring over a long period of time), come and go (be transient, fleeting or episodic, or even be silent.

    Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

    Take care,


    WebMD member (since 8/99)



    Be well-informed

    As Applicable (must be 100% confirmed)

    Mayo Clinic

    Enlarged Heart


    Health Central

    Cardiac Enlargement: A Patient Guide

    There are two types of cardiac enlargement: Hypertrophy and dilation......

    With the exception of exercise-induced enlargement, all forms of cardiac enlargement are abnormal and associated with further...


    LEARN ABOUT the Heart


    The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems


    Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types) info, actual diagnostic images.



    "Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

    - Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society


    It's your there.

    . .

    WebMD/WebMD forums does not provide medical, diagnosis or treatment.

    Helpful Tips

    Heart by pass
    Hi, just wanted to tell you I had triple heart bypass and entered a cardiac rehab program with exercises three times a week,heart ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

    Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center