Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Enlarged Heart?
Anon_2769 posted:
I have been seeing a cardiologist for about 3 years. The only thing they have told me about is that i have hbp and that is now under contol. I just had a chest x-ray to make sure i did not have asthma or anthing else and it said that i have an enlarged heart and that it has not changed.

Why is my asthma doc telling me i have an enlarged heart when my cardiologist should have told me this? I'm the old age of 35 and i'm just not sure what to think about it.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
I agree that further information would be helpful - sometimes a chest xray can overestimate the size of a person's heart. It can be useful to perform an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) in these situations, so that you can determine the actual size, thickness, etc. of the heart. It's possible that your own cardiologist did this test recently and it was normal - and that's why enlargement hasn't been mentioned previously.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

......"and it said that I have an enlarged heart".

Noteworthy, there is a medical term known as the cardiothoracic ratio (CTR), which is a measurement on a routine chest X-ray (CXR) of the width of the heart divided by the width of the chest.

Typically, a CTR greater than 50% is suggestive of an enlarged or dilated heart. Noteworthy though, in some cases, a heart may/can be greater than 50% of the cardiothoracic ratio and still be considered a normal heart.
Also, and as seen on a resting echocardiogram (cardiac ultrasound), the entire heart (global enlargement thereof, cardiomegaly) may/can become affected or just an area of it (regional enlargement).

"I have hbp and that is now under contol."

There over four dozen risk factors, markers, indicators for cardiovascular disease, some iffy/questionable, new, novel emerging, with more certainly to come.

And, as reported, a risk factor merely increases the probability that one will develop cardiovascular disease, BUT doesn't 100% guarantee that one will develop it, nor does its absence (or even the absence of ALL known risk factors) 100% guarantee that one won't have a heart attack or brain attack/stroke.

"I'm the old age of 35"

Of the different types/kinds of heart conditions, some which may/can occur at ANY AGE, various symptoms can be acute (occurring suddenly), be chronic (occurring over a long period of time), come and go (be transient, fleeting or episodic, or even be silent.

Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

As Applicable (must be 100% confirmed)

Mayo Clinic

Enlarged Heart

Causes

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/enlarged-heart/ds01129/dsection=causes

Health Central

Cardiac Enlargement: A Patient Guide

There are two types of cardiac enlargement: Hypertrophy and dilation......

With the exception of exercise-induced enlargement, all forms of cardiac enlargement are abnormal and associated with further...

http://www.healthcentral.com/heart-disease/patient-guide-44614-6.html

-

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types) info, actual diagnostic images.

http://www.heartsite.com

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums does not provide medical, diagnosis or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center