Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Edema in feet and ankles
becker1014 posted:
I am a 26 yr old male in FL. I am experiencing swelling in my feet and ankles. I have lost 29lbs in 2 months and noticed an extreme change in the amount of swelling but the swelling persists mostly in my ankles. My primary job does require me to be on my feet all day long but this seemed to have happened after gaining a lot of weight very quickly. I have been to my doctor and he has done blood tests and found nothing wrong with my liver or kidneys and my blood pressure is high enough to be pre-hypertension but not high enough that he was alarmed. Its seems as if the problem may be circulatory in nature because on the nights that I have the time to do my cardio routine I notice the swelling almost dissappears completely and by morning there is virtually no swelling at all. I have tried a daily regimen of butcher's broom and fenugreek and they do help slightly. There is no chronic pain accompanying the swelling but there is a pressure in my ankles when they are at their worst, and sometimes a slight burning sensation in my lower legs down to my feet. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated

oh and I have cut out all fast food, soda and most sodium.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
From your description, the swelling doesn't sound serious from a medical standpoint - the tests your doctor has done seem encouraging. In addition to liver and kidney testing, we also sometimes recommend a cardiac evaluation, which can include an ultrasound of the heart - an echocardiogram - to rule out any abnormalities that could predispose you to swelling. That could be something to discuss with your doctor.

becker1014 replied to James Beckerman, MD, FACC's response:
Thank you for your advice. Have you ever heard of edema being cured through weight loss or someone who had the signs of edema but then it vanished from better diet and physical activity? I can't seem to find anyone who has cured edema from just losing weight and being active, it seems as though once edema occurs it is then a lifelong battle to subside its effects instead of actually curing/getting rid of it.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center