Skip to content
Heart, Anxiety, Stress or Something else..?
CDGoin posted:
Within the last two week, off and on during the day, I feel dizzy, light headed, and have chest pain. Also, when going to bed I have had a hard time getting and staying asleep as I feel dizzy and my stomach feels tight and nauseous. I have even woken up a few times covered in sweat and feeling like I had mild Vertigo.

That said, I should note, I have not had at anytime found it hard to breath or found myself to be hyperventilating. I do have ringing in my ears.. but to be honest have had that issue for about 2-3 decades.

I am in good health according to my last physical (Which I took first part of this year) when I turned 45. I am 6'2 and 235 and my blood pressure is normal to good, and I never had a problem with high blood pressure. My cholesterol was elevated, but I have been taking Zocor, and it is in the good category, and my good HDL is up now as well.

As for drinking and smoking, I am on Wellbutrin to help with that, and mild depression. I am down to less than 5 a day and usually exclusively at work. As for drinking I am a social drinker, a few or more beers watching football.

My situation though maybe a little different than others, in 1992 my appendix burst, and had complications after surgery, as my bowels twisted. I spent 2 months in the hospital as they worked to get my bowels to unblock and straighten out without surgery and they were trying to avoid that. Thankfully using a balloon on a cable, they had it work its way through my system, they did.

So that's about as close to a complete health record as I can come up with.

Now that you know all that, I am here because, it has gotten a bit worse and I am not sure if I am having an anxiety attack or what. Because all though it would seem to be a heart related issue, last Thursday, symptoms were almost all day and I started to feel a pain in my left arm, and that's when I said that's it I am going to the ER. I know what those are the signs of, a heart attack.

Well yes and no, to my chagrin the ER said they couldn't find anything wrong, and since the doctors have now taken blood, Xray, EKG and such during one of these events, to go along with a stress test done 3 months ago, that came back good, it's doesn't look probable that it's Heart condition. But not 100% sure they couldn't have missed something, but its not likely I think.

These bouts of seem to hit primarily at work and late at night. Feels almost like low blood sugar, or dehydration, but in all cases I have eaten, and been drinking water. I do eat healthy and small amounts overall on average and was tested for diabetes during my physical and those came up good. So I don't think its blood sugar related.

I do wonder if it isn't something that wouldn't show up in blood tests ran for heart related or blood sugar problems. Because back in 1992 (When I was in my late 20s') I was told my bowels may repair themselves and I never have a problem or I may start seeing issues in 10-20 years. It's been 20. Although, my bowel movements have been normal, and I would think if I had a problem there it would have shown up some other ways.

The key thing seems to be stress and that's what's getting me. Last night, I was working late on the last bit of the project that has been a big stressor, and the deadline was this morning. I felt fine and was actually in a good mood as I was finishing it up with time to spare. Then this crap hit me again.. It was like someone just sucked out all the oxygen in the air and turned up the heat in the room.. which is what has me confused, and worried. Because if it was stress related anxiety, then why hit then when I am in a good mood and not overly stressed.

I hate feeling like a hypochondriac, but I just want this to stop. I also don't want to go into lab rat mode, and have every friggin test in the world done to find out it's just stress.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"I am down to less than 5 a day and usually exclusively at work."

Congratulations on the effort made thus far to quit smoking.

"The key thing seems to be stress"

It's well known thast stress can cause various symptoms (includes a delayed reaction), even wreaking havoc on the entire body.

Heart, Anxiety, Stress or Something else..?

Realistically, this can not be truly determined via the Internet (which has serious limitations/restrictions).

In general-only here, of the various types/kinds of heart conditions, symptoms may/can be acute (occurring suddenly), be chronic (occurring over a long period of time), come and go (be transient, fleeting or episodic) or even be silent.

Also, sometimes a condition may/can be misinterpreted, overlooked or completely missed with this or that type of diagnostic test.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

WebMD

Heart Disease TYPES

Men and Women

Acquired in life or congenital (born with it)

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-disease-men

Heart Disease SYMPTOMS

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/heart-disease-symptoms

Mayo Clinic

Heart Disease

Symptoms. Complications. Tests and diagnosis......

Heart disease is a broad term used to describe a range of diseases that affect your heart and sometimes your blood vessels......

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-disease/DS01120

-

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

-

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types) info, actual diagnostic images.

http://www.heartsite.com

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center