Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
possible arrythmia
Car_enthusiast posted:
I am a 29yr old female, I am overweight at 233 pounds (5 foot 4 - height)

I have hypothyroidism (not the cause of my arrhythmia) and depression.
I went and saw my doctor as I have a rapid heart rate, palpitations, I sometimes feel like I'm going to pass out but don't and I'm always tired.
Even mild exercise raises my heart rate even more. I don't get shortness of breath only on exertion. Since this has been going on I feel like I can't relax properly and I get chest pain too sometimes.
Ive cut caffeine from my diet and have stopped going to the gym. I have been referred to a cardiologist but I'm going to have to wait 6 months before I can get an appointment.

I'm really missing the exercise (gotta love the natural endorphins).. but I don't know how high my heart rate will go and because I don't know why I have this its probably not that safe either..

My body feels like I'm constantly stressed/nervous, but I normally react differently (I go into a depression and and unable to function well)

I have been to the ED once before as well and they couldn't find anything life-threatening.. but I feel like 6 months is too long to wait.
I hate feeling like this and I don't know what to do. any suggestions?

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
It might be helpful for your primary doctor to get some more information about what could be going on as you wait to be seen by the cardiologist.

I often find it helpful to have patients do an exercise treadmill test if I am concerned about their heart rate/rhythm response to exercise and/or have them wear a heart monitor which records the heart rhythm noninvasively if I'm concerned about abnormal rhythms. Your doctor might be open to discussing these possibilities given the 6 month wait.

Take care!

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

......"as I have a rapid heart rate,..."

What is your resting heart rate?

"Even mild exercise raises my heart rate even more"

As applicable

About com

Inappropriate sinus tachycardia (IST)

A misunderstood cardiac arrhythmia

IST is a condition in which an individual's resting heart rate is abnormally high (greater than 100 beats per minute), their heart rate increases rapidly with minimal exertion......

Characteristics of IST?

While IST can be seen in anybody, it is most often a disorder of young women. The average IST sufferer is a woman in her late 20s or early 30s who has been having symptoms for months to years. In addition to the most prominent symptoms of palpitations, fatigue and exercise intolerance,......

http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/arrhythmias/a/IST.htm

Also, as applicable, the most common type of palpitations, premature ventricular contractions (PVCs, occurs even in many heart-healthy individuals), is typically harmless (benign).

Additionally, of the various types/kinds of heart conditions, symptoms may/can be acute (occurring suddenly), be chronic (occurring over a long period of time), come and go (be transient, fleeting or episodic, such as an irregular heartbeat/arrhythmia, requiring the use of a Holter monitor or event recorder at home and during daily activities) or even be silent.

Lose weight sensibly.

Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

Heart Rhythm Society

Patient and Public Information Center

http://www.hrspatients.org

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types) info, actual diagnostic images.

http://www.heartsite.com

_ . _

Heart-Healthy Foods

Nothing complicated, just plain 'n simple

AVOID foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol. CHOOSE skim or low-fat milk, low-fat yogurt and reduced-fat cheeses. Eat more fish and poultry. LIMIT servings to five to seven ounces a day. TRIM visible fat. Limit egg yolks. SUBSTITUTE two egg whites for one whole egg or use an egg-substitute. Eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, breads and cereals. USE LESS salt and fat. SEASON WITH herbs and spices rather than with sauces, gravies and butter

_ . _

WebMD

Choosing a Weight-Loss Program

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/choosing-weight-loss-program

The Diet Channel

http://www.thedietchannel.com

-

Quote!

Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

TruthCkr responded:
Your hypothyroidism may not be the cause of your arrhythmia, but your treatment could be. Rapid heartbeat and anxiety are common effects of a dose of thyroid medication that is too high. Try lowering it a little and see what happens.

ariel1938 responded:
Keep your appointment with the cardiologist. I had this problem for years and no one paid any attention. It turned out that I had tachycardia. I couldn't walk across the room without becoming short of breath and climbing stairs was a joke. There are medications that can regulate your heart rate and help you feel better and have more energy. Good luck

lilura46 responded:
I have that too....you need to go see a dr. for this...you can get a blood clot from Afib, I don't mean to scare you. I was also put on bp med to keep my heart rythm at a lower pace. Please make an appt. with any good cardiologist. You're much to young to end up with a stroke...good luck to you sweetie

studied responded:
You should have a 24 holter monitor, ASAP, your blood pressure checked several times (and if high, treated), your medication re-evaluated. Try omega supplements, there is mre than credible evidence that they are effective (get a highly purified brand if possible). Excercise is important, as it addresses both the depression, heart, blood pressure etc. You should have an ECG (can be done at general practitioner's, blood lab, or emergency, and preferably and echo of the heart. Meditation of 20-30 minutes a day would be of great help (breath work)...sit in an upright position in a quiet area of your home, and simply breathe in deeply (through the nose) and out slowly (mouth), watching the breath (and any thoughts that arise, as if a river, or clouds....let them pass), quiet the mind...it is the goal of all yoga, and is extraordinarily important in addressing healing, as is food. Cut your salt intake, eat a few squares of dark chocolate (above 70% cacao, aand ask for any cancellations at cardiologists. Be vigilant, but nnot unecessarily nervous....you will sort this out.

sindysue responded:
had the same symptoms have hypothroidism had a right heart cath found out i have pulmonary hypertension my last tsh was high might think about pulmonary hypertension

sahasrangshu responded:
Hi,

If you have such sort of a palpitation,a 24 hour Holter recording is absolutely essential and you must also recheck your fasting TSH level in blood.If you have got to wait for 6 months you might consult a general physician because you need a doctor to prescribe such tests.Do not be over-anxious because anxiety might also be a contributory factor for palpitation.We must also not forget about a routine ECG before doing a Holter recording.Sometimes loop recorders are also of use,both external as well as internal implantable loop recorders which might well record some unknown events which a baseline ECG and Holter might fail to record.It is good to see that you have cut-short your coffee drinking which might also be an incriminating factor.All in all do not get nervous but be bold and face the situation after consulting a doctor.

Regards

Dr.S.Gupta(Physician from Calcutta)

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center