Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
heart/anxiety
agon123 posted:
I am a 20 year old college student.
About a month ago, I tried a dose of a drug called m.d.a
I felt depressed for about 2 weeks after and had some thoughts of suicide. Although, with time my seratonin replenished and I feel good as new now.
My real concern is my heart. Ever since that experience, my heart rate has sky rocketed. I've been having very bad anxiety and panic attacks that seem to be getting worse by the day. Two days ago I had to go to the E.R. due to one of these attacks. Before going to the E.R. I checked my blood pressure and it was extremely high, I tried to calm my self down with breathing techniques but they didn't help in the slightest. I began to lose feeling in my hands and that's when I really started to panic. I had a close friend drive me to the local urgent center because I could not drive. While on the way there, my eyes began to twitch, I was loosing feeling in my face and legs, my speech was starting to slur. I thought that I was going to die from a heart attack. Shortly after being at the Urgent Center, I was rushed to the E.R. by ambulance.
After being in the E.R. for a few hours my eyes were still twitching, but I had regained feeling in my face and hands. Later that day I was discharged and the doctor recommended I see a my primary doctor and recommended I see a cardiologist.
I visited my doctor two days ago and he gave me a prescription for Klonopin. It's seemed to help with the anxiety but not with my heart rate. Now, anytime I do any physical activity my heart beats extremely fast and I have to sit down and calm myself. I am very worried for my health. Everyone who I have asked seems to tell me its the anxiety that's causing those panic attacks, but it's not. They're is something seriously wrong with how my heart is functioning. What steps should I take to try and solve this problem?

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"My real concern is my heart"

"Everyone who I have asked seems to tell me it's the anxiety that's causing those panic attacks, but it's not. There is something seriously wrong with how my heart is functioning."

Well, you know your body best.

......"and the doctor recommended I see a my primary doctor and recommended I see a cardiologist."

"What steps should I take to try and solve this problem?

See a cardiologist, and have the appropriate diagnostic tests performed, to confirm or rule out a cardiac-releated problem/abnormality/condition, and then, as deemed necessary, go from there.

In general-only here, of the various types/kinds of heart conditions, some which may/can occur at any age, symptoms may/can be acute (occurring suddenly), be chronic (occurring over a long period of time), come and go (be transient, fleeting or episodic, such as an irregular heartbeat/arrhythmia, requiring the use of a Holter monitor or event recrder at home and during daily activties) or even be silent.

Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

WebMD

Heart Disease TYPES

Men and Women

Acquired in life or congenital (born with it)

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-disease-men

Heart Disease SYMPTOMS

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/heart-disease-symptoms

Mayo Clinic

Heart Disease

Symptoms. Complications. Tests and diagnosis......

Heart disease is a broad term used to describe a range of diseases that affect your heart and sometimes your blood vessels......

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-disease/DS01120

-

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

-

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types, includes stress tests) info, actual diagnostic images.

http://www.heartsite.com

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Free Q&A: Heart Disease and Stress Management (2/10/11)
Hello! Lancaster General Health in Lancaster, PA is hosting a free online Q&A session on "Heart Disease and Stress Management" on ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 13 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center