Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My BP is 150/100 from past one month
satyanaresh posted:
My blood pressure has always been normal at around 120/80. Over the last two month I have noticed a major difference in my BP usually around 156/104. I have also had some strange vision changes that I just began to notice about one months ago, One month back i got viral fever,about the same time the blood pressure problems started. I get nagging, but not very painful headaches a few times/day. I know I need to see a doctor, but in the meantime I just want to get as much information/feedback as I can. (I usually check my BP it is 150/100 from past one month) I am a 28 year old Male.

billh99 responded:
At this point it is hard to say what is happening.

Clearly with the headaches and vision changes you need to see a doctor.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

The complex human body is usually able to keep blood pressure (BP) within safe/acceptable limits, but sometimes changes in lifestyle, health, side effects from prescription drugs, or changes in metabolism, make this difficult. This can cause the BP to become consistently higher or lower than normal, or spike up and then drop down.

Compensatory mechanisms that control BP involves changing the diameter of veins and small arteries (arterioles), the amount of blood pumped out from the heart per minute (cardiac output), and the volume of blood in the vessels.

High BP, temporary or chronic, may/can be related to various heart disorders, kidney problems, and sometimes liver, or adrenal gland problems. One's susceptibility to develop it can even be caused by an imbalance somewhere within the body's precise regulating systems.

Normal resting BP in adults is under 120/80 with 115/75 or 110/70 considered as being optimal/ideal. Prehypertension is defined as systolic of 120-139 mmHg and diastolic of 80-89 mmHg. Stage 1 is systolic of 140-159 and diastolic of 90-99. Stage II is systolic of 160-179 and diastolic of 100-109. Stage III is systolic greater than 180 and diastolic greater than 110. Stage IV systolic of 210 and greater, and diastolic of 120 and greater.

Health dangers from blood pressure vary among different age groups and depending on whether systolic or diastolic pressure (or both) is elevated, and for how long.

Elevated blood pressure, isolated diastolic hypertension, isolated systolic hypertension and diastolic/systolic hypertension, increases the risk of cardiovascular disease, cerebrovascular disease, and renovascular disease.

High systolic blood pressure appears as a significant indicator for heart complications, including death, in all ages, but especially in middle-aged and older adults.

High diastolic pressure is a strong predictor of heart attack and brain attack in young adults and in those of any age with essential hypertension, high blood pressure from unknown causes, which occurs in the great majority of cases.

Also, pulse pressure is important, the difference between systolic and diastolic. Usually, the resting (in sitting position) pulse pressure in healthy individuals is 40 mmHg, give or take a bit. A consistently narrow (say 20-25 or less) or consistently wide (say 60-65 or more) pulse pressure is not good.

Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

American Heart Association

What Causes High Blood Pressure?

In 90%-95% of high blood pressure cases, the cause......

How does high blood pressure develop?

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=2152

L@@K Back in the Media

As Applicable

U.S. News & World Report

Health Brief

Explaining hypertension

Why you might have high blood pressure

(Pertinent Snippets)

Blood carries many hormones that regulate hunger, growth, and other activities. One of these is aldosterone, a hormone secreted by the adrenal gland that, among other things, tells the body to.../Sometimes the adrenal gland goes wonky and puts out too much aldosterone, causing....

What's important:

This study suggests a possible cause for hypertension in people with no obvious cause.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/briefs/heart/hb040917a.htm
-

Learn about the HEART

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

-

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types) info, actual diagnostic images.

http://www.heartsite.com

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and questions. Studies show that patients who ASK the most QUESTIONS, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future.....be there.

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center