Skip to content
Vitamins
Rmedag posted:
What vitamins are good to take to keep the heart healthy and well?

cardiostarusa1 responded:
H:

General info

Can I Take Vitamins to Keep My Heart Healthy?

Your heart, which is about the size of your fist, is the engine that drives blood through your veins and arteries. Although it is a powerful little organ, it is susceptible to various disorders.

To help keep your heart healthy and strong, you need a diet rich in vitamins, such as B3, D, C and omega-3, as these are among the most essential nutrients when it comes to heart health......

http://www.livestrong.com/article/429213-can-i-take-vitamins-to-keep-my-heart-healthy

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

It's your future......be there.

WebMD/WebMD forums does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

WebD does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

billh99 responded:
Many studies have show that people that take extra supplement vitamins have had lower heart disease.

However, when they have done blind studies where people where given either a the vitamin or a fake one that the extra vitamins did not have any befit and in some cases had negative effects.

You need to get your vitamins from a balanced diet as they also include many other heart healthy chemicals such as anti-oxides and trace minerals.

Extra vitamins are not needed unless you have a diagnosed need for them.

However, a "1-a-day" take for "insurance is OK. But not if you use it as a excuse for a poor diet.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Rmedag and welcome!

Have you had heart issues in the past or are you looking to avoid future health issues? As always, please do contact your doctor before stopping or starting any prescription or over the counter medication, vitamin or supplements.

Here's a comprehensive article:
Supplementing Your Heart Health: Omega-3, Plant Sterols, and More

And you might find other ideas to try here:
Alternative Treatments for High Cholesterol

Haylen

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center