Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Emotional & Nervous after Stent Placement
Fit4dale posted:
I am a 38 year old male who had a stent placed in my left diagonal. I went into the emergency room with light headedness, chest pain, tightness and overall blah feeling. After a blood workup, my triponin levels were a bit elevated. I was put into a cath lab and an 80% blockage was found. 2 other minor blockages of less than 30% were also found but not stented. I have a family history of heart disease on both sides. Since the stent I have been on an emotional roller coaster. I have a ton of anxiety. I can't seem to find a emotional peace to much of anything. I am trying to be active, but for some reason I can't let go of the scared feeling. I am on a BP med to control my heart rate, a blood thinner and a statin. I have tingling sensations in my arms and legs and just feel yuck from time to time. Some days I feel awesome and want to conquer the world. Some days I just want to go to bed and forget everything. My question....Is this normal? I have 3 children and an amazing wife and life, yet I am letting this control me. I have had a lot of people tell me to just look at this as a 2nd chance or to be thankful for it being found. I am thankful but that doesnt change the fact that I am scared and nervous about everything. If any of you have any thoughts or past experiences, please let me know.

Thanks,
Fit4Dale

billh99 responded:
It is very common to have worry and anxiety after having a stent or bypass.

Ask your cardiologist for a referral to a Cardiac Rehab Program.

In those programs you will exercise, will being monitored. It not only helps built exercise tolerance, but also gives confidence that you can exercise safetly.

Also there will be educational information on things like as diets and meds.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"Is this normal?"

I'd say it's more common for this to occur, with some individuals reporting a so-called "heightened sense of awareness", and in some, far worse, depression (especially if a heart attack has occured, with or without stents or bypass).

Sometimes, heart disease patients have reported anger, mood swings/emotional outbursts/emotions running wild can occur, personality changes (which sometimes can be directly due to prescription drugs or even brain damage from a stroke that occurred during or right after heart surgery, as applicable, which can cause neurological alterations or deficits), and fear as well. Additionally, a feelng of hopeless in which one has decided to give up, throw in the towel (something that obviously one should not do).

"I have tingling sensations in my arms and legs"

Did you ever experience this before you had the procedure?

Tingling or numbness (paresthesias), has various causes, even including a side effect from some prescription drugs, or it can correlate with, or be triggered off by other symptoms (such as pain). Most common areas affected are the hands, arms, legs and feet, though it can occur anywhere on the body.

The bottom line

Coronary stents (bare-metal or drug-eluting) are only a Band-aid or spot treatment, as it does not treat the underlying disease process and what drives the progression.

Coronary artery disease (CAD) is a life-long unpredictable condition (can exhibit periods of stabilization, acceleration, and even some regression), requiring a continuum of care, as well as good doctor-patient/patient-doctor communication and understanding at ALL times.

Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

WebMD

Living With Heart Disease

Coronary artery disease (CAD)

CAD is a chronic disease with no cure. When you have coronary artery disease, it is important to take care of your heart....

This is especially true if you have had an interventional procedure or......

Recognize the symptoms. .....

Reduce your risk factors......

Take your medications......

See your doctor for regular check-ups......

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/living-with-heart-disease

Coronary artery anatomy

Starting with the left anterior descending (LAD), the most critical, next to the ultra-critical left main (LM).

http://www.heartsite.com/html/lad.html

_ . _

Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack/stroke

Epidemiologic studies (EDS) have revealed risk factors (encompasses some new, novel or emerging) for atherosclerosis, typically affecting the carotid, coronary and peripheral arteries, which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction or mutation) , diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes second and thirdhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), Low HDL (now questionable, according to recent studies) high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

_ . _

As Applicable to the Patient

Cardiac Rehab

Typically, cardiac rehab plays an important role in the overall recovery process, which is DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE, and at any age.

WebMD/Healthwise

Cardiac Rehab

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/tc/cardiac-rehabilitation-topic-overview

Mayo Clinic

Cardiac rehab: Building a better life after heart disease

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cardiac-rehabilitation/HB00017

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Fit4Dale -

I certinally understand your roller coaster emotions after your procedure!

I strongly encourage you to find a way to manage your stress and anxiety. Not only will it help your body but I find that stress management makes me a better parent and wife. My "thing" is gentle/restorative yoga but there are many ways to quiet your mind and get you out of bed on tough days.

Check out the WebMD Stress Management Center. My favorite article there is Blissing Out: 10 Relaxation Techniques to Reduce Stress

Haylen

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Coffee Can Lower Depression Risk in WomenGuest Expert
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204010604576594853506227020.html More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center