Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Questions for heart failure patients
MITengineer posted:
Hi Everyone,

First, a short introduction, I am an electrical engineering student at MIT in Boston who is working a project to develop technologies to help HF patients better manage their health after diagnosis. On this project we have other engineers and cardiologists working as a team. The technology involves a continuous wearable device that monitors your heart's health.

The technology is in its developmental stage, and I feel there is no better way to shape the technology than to interact with people living with HF, and to hear your thoughts about the questions I'm having. I've included them below, and it would be GREATLY appreciated if you can take some time out of your busy schedule to answer ANY of them.

1. Besides symptoms, what is the #1 factor that degrades your quality of life? This could be tangible or psychological.
2. How many times have you been readmitted to the hospital due to HF?
2.a. Why were you readmitted?
2.b. Was the readmission preventable? If so, how could it have been prevented?
3. How do you currently monitor your own health between doctor's visits? Is it through devices or by feeling?
4. Is there any guesswork or uncertainty that you wish could be taken out of your treatments?
5. If you can continuously monitor your heart's health through a relatively unobtrusive wearable device, would you wear it every day? Or only when you are feeling the symptoms?
6. If there is one thing you can change about the current way HF is managed by the healthcare system, what would it be? This could involve physicians, nurses, hospitals, or insurance companies.
7. Any additional comments are welcomed!

With your help, we hope this technology will someday help HF patients live healthier lives. Once again, thank you very much for your time and inputs. I will note down every single response and go over them with my team.

Kind regards,

David

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center