Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Interesting article - Man’s Failing Heart Heals Itself on Day of Emergency Transplant
cardiostarusa1 posted:
Hi:

In the recent media for those who missed it.

September 25, 2012

(Pertinent excerpts)

Um said doctors seem to be seeing more cases similar to this, in which a failing heart heals itself. "The interesting thing is that if he had gotten a transplant right away, we would have never known if he could have recovered on his own," Um said. "Now that we have technology that allows people to remain on external heart machines longer, we could see this more.

"In the simplest terms, Dr. Um explained, the heart got sick, triggering an immune response that shut the heart down to fight the infection, and eventually healed itself. Technology kept Crowe's body alive while his heart healed.

Although there could be effects on his heart in the future, Dr. Um said young people who suffer from acute heart problems like Crowe's tend to make a full recovery, healing fully.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/09/25/mans-failing-heart-heals-itself-on-day-of-emergency-transplant/

Additionally here

LVADS - Heart Assist Devices/Pumps

As reported in the worldwide media and various medical literature, some cardiac patients, who were extremely ill, and who had an LVAD (heart pump to assist the left ventricle) implanted, were able to stay alive long enough until a heart became available, or were able to avoid a heart transplant completely, as being on an LVAD (and then having it explanted/removed) helped to reverse some of the damage done to the heart, allowing one to live as near a normal life as humanly possible.

Take care,

CardioStar*

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Fascinating! Thank you so much for sharing.

And, as always, thank you for your contributions to this community. Feel free to pop over to Cholesterol, Hypertension and Men's Health too!

Haylen

cardiostarusa1 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
You're welcome Haylen.

My wife and I were having a quiet dinner, with the TV audio barely audible, and when we saw a 3D CT scan image of a heart pop up on the screen, I grabbed the remote and cranked it up, as it was truly a story not to be missed.

Take care,

CardioStar*

cardiostarusa1 replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
I hope they do a follow-up story on this patient.

CardioStar*

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center