Skip to content
Father died at 31 of massive heart attack....
ambermcguire82 posted:
I am a 29 year old female, 5'4, 185 lbs. (just had a baby 10 weeks ago, still trying to lose weight), normal cholesterol, normal BP (it did elevate towards the end of my pregnancy though). I don't have insurance so I am looking for a little advice. My father died at the age of 31 of a massive heart attack. I am trying to find a copy of his death certificate because it has his actual cause of death on it. Starting at the age of 24, I have random pass out spells. The first time it happened, I was at the fair waiting in line for a ride. My sister was talking to me and all of the sudden, I couldnt hear her or anything else, my mouth starting watering alot, my throat got really tight, I had cold sweats and it felt like my heart was beating out of my chest. The next thing I know, I wake up on a stretcher with my sister on the phone with my mother saying that I was dead. Apparently, I fainted and was out for about 10-15 minutes and when EMSA got there, they couldnt find a blood pressure or a pulse. When I came to, I couldnt figure out why I was on a stretcher and it was really weird. I refused medical treatment and had to sign off on a paper stating that I was refusing. (I know, I am stubborn) It has since happened to me about every six months to a year. I actually fainted on four different occasions. I now can tell when it is coming on and if I sit down and concentrate on my breathing and convince myself nothing is wrong, I dont faint. It usually takes about 15 minutes to pass. Over the past couple of years, I have noticed that I sometimes have pains in my back that goes from one shoulder blade to another. I can be sitting still and my heart will just start racing for no reason. I guess I am wanting to know if this could possibly be my early indications of a heart attack. Do you think it is possible that I have suffered a heart attack in the past and not known it? Since I dont have insurance and not alot of money (I am a single mom), what would be the best way of going about getting this checked out? It should also be noted that my dad started having "pass out spells" when he was in his late teens. I am just very scared as I am getting closer to my dads age and it seems that I am displaying alot of similar symptoms.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

Congrats on the birth of your child.

"I don't have insurance..."

Patient resources

Many community clinics can offer personalized and high-quality health care, regardless of one's ability to pay. This decision is typically based on the size of one's family, household income and any other special circumstances.

If one has little or no income, donations and/or grants that some facilities receive, may/can make it possible for them to assist an individual on a limited or emergency basis.

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Health Resources and Services Administration

HRSA-supported Health Centers

Find Affordable Health Care

Health centers are in most cities and many rural area. Health centers provide:

1. Checkups when you're well

2. Treatment when you're sick

3. Complete care when you're pregnant

4. Immunizations and checkups for your children

5. Dental care and prescription drugs for your family

6. Mental health and substance abuse care if you need it

http://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/Search_HCC.aspx

As various medical literature and the worldwide media have reported, clinically significant (blood flow-limiting) coronary artery disease (CAD), sometimes leading to a dreaded heart attack, is increasing in those in their mid/late 30s to early 40s.

CAD actually begins (the process and progression of) very early in life, even as early as in the pre-teen/teenage years. Fatty streaks (represents the earliest precursor to plaque development and plaque is the pathological hallmark of atherosclerosis) are the beginning of atherosclerosis in the coronary arteries. Soft plaque (more dangerous and unpredictable than hard or calcified plaque) is the early stage of atherosclerosis.

As reported, the symptoms of artery-narrowing atherosclerosis are highly variable. Those with mild atherosclerosis may present with clinically important symptoms and signs of disease and heart attack, or absolute worst case scenario, sudden cardiac death (SCD) may be the first and only symptom of coronary artery disease (CAD). However, many individuals with anatomically advanced disease may have no symptoms and experience no functional impairment.

Causes of fainting/passing out/syncope include vasovagal (the most common cause), cardiac (**includes specific irregular heartbeat, typically duration-dependent), circulatory, neurologic, metabolic and drug-induced. Sometimes, there is no known cause (idiopathic), no identifiable cause.

**As applicable, for simplcity, using a Holter monitor, event recorder, or at the extreme, an insertable cardiac monitor (ICM), can sometimes confirm or rule out an irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) as a particular cause.

About com

Syncope, Part 1 - Cardiac Syncope

Part 2 - Non-cardiac Syncope, Part 3 - Treatment of Syncope

http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/arrhythmias/a/Syncope1.htm
Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

eHealthMD

Heart Attack

What Is A Heart Attack? Types Of Heart Attack. Symptoms Of A Heart Attack.

Is It A Heart Attack?......

http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/heartattack/HA_whatis.html
**In some cases, a heart attack can be "SILENT".

-

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

-

WebMD

Choosing a Weight-Loss Program

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/choosing-weight-loss-program

The Diet Channel

http://www.thedietchannel.com

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums does not provide medical
advice, diagnosis or treatment.

NEVER delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on WebMD.

IF YOU have a medical emergency CALL 911.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center