Skip to content
A relative died just after angioplasty surgery....
awandd posted:
One of my relative died by heart failure about 1 month ago. His 1st heart attack was 10 days before he went to a angioplasty surgery. The doctors said the surgery was done well but the patient died after about 45 mins. However, he went to the hospital approximately 2 days after his 1st heart attack (so I guess he was unable to get some important medications within 24 hrs). After he has been discharged by a government hospital (after 4 days) the doctors asked him to rest 2,3 weeks and go for other tests (like angiogram) and other surgeries if needed. This guy didn't have such time to rest.about 2,3 days time he went to private hospital, then the angiogram test was performed and the angioplasty operation was done right away (we were told by the doctors that he stayed alive abt 45 mins and then died)
The reason for dead (as he told) the weak heart (30% working and some mussels died) was not capable of handling the new blood flow rate. So his claim was if we brought the patient early he could have survived..

Ive read that late angioplasty surgery is no benefit (http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/late-angioplasty-no-benefit-after-heart-attack). We were under the impression that if we rest 2,3 weeks and then went to a possible bypass surgery he could have a chance to live. Since he didn't get enough rest before his surgery.
I am very grateful to a somebody who can explain me about the above conditions and possibly he could have a change for life.

Thanks you very much in advance

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi awandd -

I'm so sorry for your loss. (((hugs))) to you and your family.

I do not think our experts can adequately address your questions without first hand knowledge of this particular case. I urge you and your family to ask questions directly of the doctosr and facilities that treated your relative.

Click here for additional information about angioplasty that might answer some of your questions: Angioplasty

Haylen

awandd replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Haylen,
Thank you very much for your reply.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center