Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Low potassium & atheromatous disease
Bev79083 posted:
I have been having problems keeping my potassium at the normal range, it has been pretty low several times, & have recently found out through a CT of the lung that I have atheromatous disease. Can you tell me what I need to do to fix the potassium problem & what is atheromatous disease & is this something to be concerned about?

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"Can you tell me what I need to do to fix the potassium problem"

General info

eMedicneHealth

Low Potassium - Hypokalemia

See: Causes, treatments

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/low_potassium/article_em.htm

Additionally, as reported, the length of time it takes to correct or normalize the potassium level (and resolve resulting symptoms, if any) depends on numerous factors, and thus varies from one individual to another.

Obviously, the cause (whether recurrent or a one time-only occurrence) must be diagnosed/determined, and then corrected, for the individual to be able to maintain an optimal/stable level of potassium in the body.

Also, naturally, a doctor needs to take a blood sample in order to establish the severity of the deficiency, which can help to determine the amount and form (of supplement) needed.

"What is atheromatous disease"

General info

Atheromatous = pertaining to atheroma

MedicineNet - We Bring Doctors' Knowledge to You

Definition of Atheroma: A fatty deposit in the inner lining (intima) of an artery, resulting from atherosclerosis. Also called an atherosclerotic plaque, an arterial plaque, or a plaque.

Additional info (as applicable)

Atheromatous degeneration

The accumulation of lipid deposits on the inner surface of the arteries (anywhere in the body), eventually resulting in fibrous thickening or calcification (as imaged on x-rays/CT) of the arteries.

"Is this something to be concerned about?

Yes, of course.

Take good care,

CardioStar*

-

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Free Q&A: Heart Disease and Stress Management (2/10/11)
Hello! Lancaster General Health in Lancaster, PA is hosting a free online Q&A session on "Heart Disease and Stress Management" on ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 13 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center