Skip to content
Ive just found out I have 4 things wrong with heart
Marcey posted:
Ive had so many medical problems over the years Ive lost count of all my disabilities and now im told I have a thickened aorta wall and both valves are reguritating blood and something closes to slowly what ever it is its the main reason for heart attacks in women, anyways I buried my husband 4 years ago and since age 30 Ive had a DNR due to all my other medical problems Im also in an electric chair so no excerse, my question is why am I unable to find out an approximate life expectancy if nothing is done on these valves, no I dont no the stage Im in but their must be data saying ok 5 yrs in start or 2.5 yr for middle or too late for late stage any one know the answer??
thanks for the help Marcey

11CUPS responded:
Sorry, doctors will tell you anytime from now to until you're 100. It's just one of those things you can't put a number to. I am 58, and docs told me to go put my name on the transplant list. I didn't tell him if I would or not. I didn't. I feel I have lived a very full life, if I go right now, it was a nice ride. Give it to some young kid who hasn't begun his life yet. The more you think about how long you are going to live, the shorter you are making it. One thing that is for sure. We all have to go sometime.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi Marcey:

Sorry to hear about the loss of your husband.

......"and now I'm told I have a thickened aorta wall"

As reported, while a thickening or calcification in the aorta usually doesn't cause problems there, as aplicable to the individual, especially in the older population, it may/can be indicative of a problem going on in other critical arteries, such as the coronary arteries (heart) the carotid arteries (neck), and the peripheral arteries (legs).

The normal aorta (largest artery in the human body, shaped somewhat like a cane) is about 1" in diameter. Identifiable parts or sections of the aorta include the aortic root, ascending (goes upward) aorta, aortic arch (curved portion at the top of the aorta), descending aorta (going downward), thoracic aorta (chest area) and the abdominal aorta (stomach area).

"and both valves are regurgitating blood."

Valvular regurgitation (leakage, a back flow of blood through the one way-only valve) levels goes from trace or physiologic (aka minimal or trivial, found in many otherwise heart-healthy people, and for the most-part, can be safely ignored), to mild (should be monitored) to moderate (should be monitored closely to see what overall effect it's having on the heart) to severe (when it gets to this point, valve repair or replacement is usually dictated).

Valvular regurgitation grading scale by echocardiography is 0-4 . Valvular regurgitation can cause various symptoms or no symptom(s) at all.

As necessary, prescription drug-therapy treats symptoms, but does not cure the condition. Corrective treatments include catheter-based or surgical-based valve repair and replacement.

"Why am I unable to find out an approximate life expectancy if nothing is done on these valves?"

The fact is that life expectancy is highly-variable, as everyone is unique, and one has to take into consideration various factors and conditions. Also, if/when one has a single procedure or multiple procedures performed, be it catheter-based or surgical, outcomes can not be predicted.

Pre-existing medical conditions (cardiac or otherwise), negative factors, and especially comorbidities (medical conditions known to increase the risk of death in addition to the most significant condition that causes an individual's stay in the hospital), as well one's general overall health are taken into consideration.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

How the Heart Pumps

Animated Tutorial

http://your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/heartpump-tutorial.html

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types) info, actual diagnostic images.

http://www.heartsite.com

-

Quote!

Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Marcey replied to 11CUPS's response:
thank you so much for the reply and age is not years but where your body thinks it is lol mine thginks about 109 is right ty again

Marcey replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
ty for all the great information. I pray your feet will stay on a red path in life so you may continue to help others in need of info

cardiostarusa1 replied to Marcey's response:
You're welcome.

Take good care,

CardioStar*

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Omega 3 (Harp Seal Oil): One of the Best Supplement for Heart Diseases
Omega 3 is a must for Heart Disease, especially Harp Seal Oil Omega3. More Info(Harp Seal Oil vs. Fish Oil) I prefer canadian products ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center