Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Desperately seeking advice
Bravo64 posted:
My wife, 46 yoa, has developed severe aortic stenosis(0.7-0.8 cm) and needs her aortic valve replaced. In addition, she has ascending aortic aneurysm(4.5cm) that needs attention. As a result of the severe aortic stenosis, she has also developed pulmonary hypertension. We've been through a lot the past 2 weeks. She spent 2weeks in our local community hospitals "heart center" which was wasted precious time. You see, the cardio thorasic surgeon who was assigned to us initially agreed to perform the surgery, however, after putting her through a magnitude of testing, procedures, he ultimately turned to us and said she needed to be in a tertiary center that could provide the care she needs. Ultimately he said he could not perform the surgery. Needless to say, we were devastated. We felt we were misled and we in addition to our medical insurance company were taken advantage of. Anyway, we were referred to shands hospital in Gainesville, fl. I have to say though, the patient care she received at our community hospital by the nurses/aides, was fabulous. Now that we are at shands, totally different, night and day, with the nursing care. The best way I can describe it, we went from 5- star hotel service to roach motel. When we arrived at shands, she was placed in a room that she had to share with another patient. My wife's side of the room was like literally being in a broom closet. The other patient had several young children and friends in the room causing a lot of noise. Very young, inexperienced nurses. I guess that's from being a teaching hospital. We went from nurses being very attentive, coming in and out of the room all day and night to only seeing the nurse at shands, maybe 3 times all day. I almost felt like the forgot about us. My wife told me she tested them by disconnecting several heart leads. Well, guess what? They didn't come to check her for 2 hours. Wow!! The only thing that's keeping me from yanking her out of there, is the surgeon that's attending to her. He has good credentials and seemed to be a caring, compassionate surgeon. I don't know how much more we can take and keep me from moving her again to another hospital. Before I do this, I would like to have some personal advice from someone who has had great success with a cardio thorasic surgeon and hospital in the Florida area. I need your help, please!!!!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Bravo and welcome -

Moving from hospital to hospital sounds so stressful! I hope you and your wife find the care she needs ASAP.

We ask that our members not recommend physicians by name on our communities. This policy is in place to protect both WebMD and our members. Those who want to share physician information are asked to do so off the public forums. You can provide an email address in your post for those who might have a recommendation.

We do have a physician finder here that might give you a place to start: WebMD Physician Finder

I hope you're able to interview doctors and get patient recommendations moving forward!

Best to you and your wife -

Haylen

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center