Skip to content
Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia?
PAChristine1 posted:
So I'm self diagnosing here. Here's the deal. I am a 28yo female of somewhat above average weight (BMI 28). I have been working out 1 hour per day, 5 days per week on a treadmill at the local gym for 6 months. My goal is to be able to run a 5k at the drop of a hat.

At rest (while awake), my heart rate is 90-110, which I know is a bit high, especially for someone who exercises regularly like I do. When I walk at 3.5mph, my heart rate stays about 140-150. I have tried and tried and tried to gradually increase my speed, but every time I jog or run, my heart rate shoots up to 190+, and not surprisingly, I can't maintain that for long.

I am becoming very frustrated. I seem to have hit a brick wall with my workouts, and no matter how consistent I am, I am not improving.

I should also mention that I do occasionally have palpitations severe enough to cause some dizziness. I haven't actually passed out yet, but I fear that one of these times my heart will do something weird enough that I'll hit the floor... but that might be a different issue.

I did have a Holter monitor done about 6 years ago which revealed a few short runs of PVCs and a moderate but not constant amount of sinus tachycardia. They said it was nothing to worry about.

Please help me out here. I really want to be able to jog or run, and no matter how I try, I just can't. My heart can't handle it. What should I do??

Thanks in advance.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"What should I do??"

Perhaps you should consider consulting with a cardiologist who is also an electrophysiologist.

"At rest (while awake), my heart rate is 90-110, which I know is a bit high."

Normal resting range heart rate (HR) in adults is 60-100 beats per minute (BPM). Average resting HR in women is 78-84 BPM.

As applicable

About com

Inappropriate sinus tachycardia (IST)

A misunderstood cardiac arrhythmia

IST is a condition in which an individual's resting heart rate is abnormally high (greater than 100 beats per minute), their heart rate increases rapidly with minimal exertion......

Characteristics of IST?

While IST can be seen in anybody, it is most often a disorder of young women. The average IST sufferer is a woman in her late 20s or early 30s who has been having symptoms for months to years. In addition to the most prominent symptoms of......

http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/arrhythmias/a/IST.htm

"I do occasionally have palpitations severe enough to cause some dizziness"

Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs), the most common palpitations, occurs even in many heart-healthy individuals, and has various causes (cardiac and non-cardiac) or triggers.

As reported, PVCs are typically harmless (benign), be it isolated (single), couplets (2-in-row), triplets (3-in-a-row) or salvos (short bursts of 3 or more in-a-row), bigeminy (occurring every other beat), trigeminy (occurring every third beat), quadrigeminy (occurring every fourth beat), etc., etc.

However, the main problem or concern (even more so, much more emphasized for those with certain major or serious heart conditions) with PVCs is when sustained ventricular tachycardia (runs of PVCs over 30 seconds) occurs.

Symptoms that may/can occur wih PVCs, as well as with tachycardia, includes none at all or chest pain/discomfort/pressure/tightness, difficulty breathing, lightheadedness or dizziness, and in uncommon to rare cases, near-syncope or syncope (temporary loss of consciousness, includes fainting and passing out).

Additionally, of the various types'kinds of heart conditions, symptoms may/can be acute (occurring suddenly), be chronic (occurring over a long period of time), come and go (be transient, fleeting or episodic or even be silent.

Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

Learn about the heart's delicate and precise electrical conduction system

Animated Tutorial

http://www.your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/conductiontutorial.html

Heart Rhythm Society

Patinet and Public Information Center

http://www.hrspatients.org/patients

_ . _

Calming the HEART

Techniques at Home (as applicable to the patient)

Tighten stomach muscles. As soon as the heart starts to race, tighten the stomach muscles. This will cause the abdominal muscles to put pressure on a group of nerves that will tell the heart's electrical coduction system to slow down.

Chill. Take a deep, long breath and slowly let it out. Sometimes relaxation is all it takes to stop tachycardia. And deep breathing is frequently one of the fastest ways to relax.

Use common sense. Anything that speeds up the heart, caffeine and cigarettes, for example, can trigger a rapid heartbeat. So common sense says that if one is prone to tachycardia, one should avoid any substance that might give the heart an extra kick.

_ . _

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

HeartSite

Heart info, diagnostic tests info, actual diagnostic images

http://www.heartsite.com

-

Quote!

Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

PAChristine1 replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
I made an appointment with my PCP to evaluate the issue. Basically, I'd like to see what a Holter Monitor might show, and I need someone to order that test for me.

Yesterday I wore a personal/exercise heart rate monitor for 6.5 hours, and in that time, my average HR was 102, with a maximum of 130. This was all while I was sitting at a desk or walking around the office. Nothing too strenuous or stressful.

As someone who exercises about 5hrs/wk, that just doesn't seem right to me. My resting pulse ought to be in the 60's to 70's, not over 100.

I don't want my poor heart to be beating so fast all of the time... aside from the exercise intolerance, it seems like it might get tired or burned out...

billh99 replied to PAChristine1's response:
There is also a condition called chronotropic incompetent where the heart rate does not rev up in proportional to exercise.

And when the heart rate jumps to 190 might be an indication of AFIB or similar.

Talk to your PCP about a referral to a cardiologist and the maybe doing a stress test instead of, or additional, to the holter test.

Be sure and mention what happens when you try to increase the treadmill.

And maybe an echo test with the stress test.

PAChristine1 replied to billh99's response:
Yes, all good ideas, but the problem with all of these appointments and testing modalities is that I am uninsured and cannot obtain private insurance due to a separate preexisting condition. I'm worried about paying for all of this.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 11 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center