Skip to content
Do not want to feel stupid but scared
lufkinguy34 posted:
I know the title is something most people say but it is true.
Me: male, 46, smoke, overweight and i have had tia (2) in the past year. yes i do also have high BP.

Recently i have been feeling very run down, tired, dizzy at times, just out of synch. About a week and a half ago i had an episode where i felt like i was having a heart attack, almost when i got up and sat in a chair i felt very tired. slowly drifted off into what i can only describe as a weird sleep. I felt like i was asleep and could not move but i could think in a very disjointed way, almost like a dream. coughed and "woke up", here is the weird part. took a sip of sweet tea and it tasted salty, tried water and it tasted salty as well. no slaty taste in mouth just when i drank something. this went away by the next day.

i have also been experiencing headaches, the achy type pretty constant with shooting headaches in there too.

my blood pressure has been very high at times. the lady i stay with has hi BP so she takes hers and it is actually pretty normal lately. then i take mine and boom way up there. also fairly significanty difference between arms. right has read as hig as 230ish/140ish more normally in the 200/110 range. left is usually 20is points lower on the top number.

now i am intelligent and know that all this does not add up well but i do not want to over react. the 2 times i have been to the er was sent home feeling like i wasted my time and money. i just can not shake the feeling that i am very close to some bad stuff happening to me.

somebody out there must know what i am going through. i have no insurance so drs visits are pretty much out of the question. i feel as if i am going to have to have a stroke to get the attention i need.

am i close? sorry if that sounded weird but i just want to hear from someone that understands and maybe some good advice.

billh99 responded:
. I felt like i was asleep and could not move but i could think in a very disjointed way, almost like a dream. coughed and "woke up",

Those symptoms could also be caused by an irregular heart beat.
But the headaches and taste change are more indicative of neurological (stroke).

And the difference in the arm pressure indicates that you might have plaque in the arteries that increase the risk of heart disease and a stroke.

And your BP is DANGEROUSLY HIGH.

In your area there should be a free/low cost clinic. Find it and get your BP treated.

And stop smoking. That does not cost anything and you can start it immediately.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"I have no insurance"

Patient resources

Many community clinics can offer personalized and high-quality health care, regardless of one's ability to pay. This decision is typically based on the size of one's family, household income and any other special circumstances.

If one has little or no income, donations and/or grants that some facilities receive, may/can make it possible for them to assist an individual on a limited or emergency basis.

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Health Resources and Services Administration

HRSA-supported Health Centers

Find Affordable Health Care

Health centers are in most cities and many rural area. Health centers provide:

1. Checkups when you're well

2. Treatment when you're sick

3. Complete care when you're pregnant

4. Immunizations and checkups for your children

5. Dental care and prescription drugs for your family

6. Mental health and substance abuse care if you need it

http://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/Search_HCC.aspx

"230ish/140ish more normally in the 200/110"

Stage IV hypertension is systolic of 210 and greater, and diastolic of 120 and greater.

Health dangers from blood pressure vary among different age groups and depending on whether systolic or diastolic pressure (or both) is elevated, and for how long.

Sometimes, high BP can suddenly become a "hypertensive crisis", which is described as when diastolic is greater than 120, and there are signs or symptoms of damage to the brain, heart, kidneys or other organs. If/when applicable, quick-acting drugs can be administered in the ER setting to reduce BP.

"Smoke"

Do quit smoking ASAP!

As reported, smoking increases the circulating levels of catecholamines and free fatty acids, which may contribute to the increased level of total cholesterol and decreased levels of high-density lipoprotein ("good" cholesterol) that are found in habitual cigarette smokers.

The effects on platelets may enhance coagulation (blood clotting). There can be accelerated coronary and peripheral vascular disease, and occurrence of a dreaded stroke and complications from hypertension.

The greatest concern is the acceleration or aggravation of cardiovascular disease. Smoking can promote atherosclerotic vascular disease by contributing to high cholesterol, endothelial injury (damaging the sensitive inner lining of the walls of the arteries), or both.

Complications of hypertension are more severe in those who smoke cigarettes. Smoking can also aggravate hypertension by causing vasoconstriction (tightening of the vessels).

About.com

After You Quit Smoking - The First 2 Days

Quit Smoking Benefits - the Healing Begins...When you quit smoking, the benefits begin within minutes of your last...

At 20 minutes after quitting:

Blood pressure decreases, pulse rate drops...

http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/afterquitting/a/quitting20minut.htm
USA Today

Just one cigarette can harm DNA, Surgeon General says

12/9/10

"Tobacco smoke damages almost every organ in your body," says Surgeon General Regina Benjamin. In someone with underlying heart disease, she says, "One cigarette can cause a heart attack."

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/health/2010-12-09-1Asmoking09_st_N.htm

"Overweight"

Lose weight sensibly, and keep ALL other known modifiable risk factors for cardiovascular disease closely in-check

WebMD

Choosing a Weight-Loss Program

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/choosing-weight-loss-program

The Diet Channel

http://www.thedietchannel.com

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and questions. Studies show that patients who ASK the most QUESTIONS, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 11 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center