Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
tripple bypass donts
An_248814 posted:
hi!,my dad is going to have a triple bypass soon and i was wondering after the surgery what should he not do?, and how long is the recovery period, also will there be any side effects???

billh99 responded:
In general this is going to depend on how old he is, general health & activity levels, and if he has an permanent heart damage from a heart attack.

For the first 6-8 weeks he will restricted from lifting more than 5-10 lbs with his arms while the sternum heals.

And he will have pain for several weeks if he has to cough or sneeze. In the hospital they will give him a pillow and explain how to reduce the pain.

And he will need to do regular breathing exercises. Again they will explain how to do this in the hospital.

Some people have trouble sleeping laying down for a while after this surgery. A recliner chair helps.

And after he gets how he needs to keep moving as much as possible, even when he does not feel like. Simply walking is great.

In general there is no long term side effects other than any damage that has been done by an heart attack. And, in many cases, even that can be overcome by diet, exercise, and medicine.

And people that have had large constrictions that limited their activity will notice increased energy within a couple of weeks.

A few people have long term pain from the sternum cut. In my case I had about 3 months of random itching, spiking, and burning pain - all mild - on the chest surface has the cut nerves healed. And several weeks of muscle spams in should blades.

But there can be long term problems with uncommon problems during the surgery. The doctor is best to describe those risk.

In many cases people can return to office work in 6 weeks.

In terms of total recovery it depends what his present condition is. In my case I was 66, normal weight, active, and somewhat fit.

I think that by 6 I was probably about 50% recovered and 80% by 8 weeks, limited most to rebuilding strength. But shortly their after I had shoulder surgery that limited by strength exercising, but I was still able to get fit aerobically fit and build on that base. And in reality, except for the first 3 weeks after the CABG the should surgery was much more painful and had a much longer time for full recovery.

And make sure that he ask his doctor about outpatient cardiac rehab. That is monitor and supervised exercise and also include learning about diet, meds, etc.

This is particularly important for someone that is afraid to exercise after a procedure and/or is depressed.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
Average time in the hospital after bypass surgery is 5-7 days, although it's not uncommon for people to stay a bit longer.

Recovery at home usually takes another 6-8 weeks.

His doctors will have very specific recommendations about limitations for lifting heavier objects, driving, etc.

Best wishes to him.

carol34685 responded:
It has been 3 years since I had my triple by pass surgery; I am well and following an exercise and healty diet regimine. My
hosptial stay was 7 days . Upon arriving home, I was fortunate
to have family and friends assisting in my recovery.

During hospital stay, pain control was needed for chest area.
I had breathing exercises to practice many times daily;also
walking in hospital corridor which continued with a schedule
in daily walks once I returned home. This schedule was
given to me to increase my stamina over a period of 30 days;
I was walking 30 minutes after 30 days. I did not have
much trouble sleeping once I came home but could not raise
my body out of bed for about 7-10 days; my husband would
have to lift my upper body out of bed until I gained strength.
This presented an interupted nights sleep for my husband
if I had to use the bathroom as I had to wake him up so he
could help me out of bed.Word of Advice: Have someone
strong to be available when your dad comes home if lifting
him would be necessary.

I did have a home health aid visit 3 x weekly to check vitals.
Once my cardiologist gave the OK I started physical therapy
which lasted 3 months.

In my case, after one year past surgery, I still had some
discomfort in chest area; I was told that some patients
take longer to heal than others; well, I took about 2 yrs.
Everyone is different!!!!

I am going to celebrate my 65th birthday this year( I was 62
when I had my heart attack and surgery) and exercise
5 days a week; about 50 minutes each day. I try to eat
well and stay with greens, veggies for lunch and a pretty
normal dinner. Oh yes, will have cake on birthday celebration
with family!!!!

My best advice to you and your dad is to follow doctors advice
for a speedy recovery. We have so many wonderful doctors
and health care providers who do so much for patients. I wish
your dad a sucessful operation and a speedy recovery.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 11 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center