Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Palpitations while jogging
nic14120 posted:
I am 34 yr old female with PCOS and hypothyoid/hashimotos. My last pregnancy I has episodes of tachy which was diag as hormone surges. Post baby I still experience palpitations. They have actually subsided over the last montg or two since my thyroid is in range. I have been active at the gym, but have never experiences palp during my work outs. I have started to train for a half marathon since last two wks and noticed since this weekend i have been experiencing palps when i am running for a bit and have my heart rate at 165_170. I do have symptoms and i dont stop when i feel it. Its a quick flip flop feeling a few different times. I called and have an appt w cardio 12/12, but i cant stop my running as i am building mileage. I was seen last sept for halter, event, ekg, echo- determined benign palp- extra beats. Is it safe to cont to jog while experiencing these palps? Thank you

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

......"and noticed since this weekend I have been experiencing palps when I am running for a bit and have my heart rate at 165-170. I do have symptoms and I don't stop when I feel it. It's a quick flip-flop feeling a few different times.

While some individuals can experience palpitations at rest, which disappear during vigorous exercise, and return again at rest, on the flip side, some may notice that they are having palpitations only when doing things such as vigorous exercise (i.e., exercise-induced arrhythmia, EIA).

As applicable to the patient, the most common type of palpitations, premature ventricular contractions (PVCs, occurs even in many heart-healthy individuals), has various causes or triggers, cardiac and non-cardiac in origin.

Often, PVCs are typically harmless (benign), be it isolated (single), couplets (2-in-row), triplets (3-in-a-row) or salvos (short bursts of 3 or more in-a-row), bigeminy (occurring every other beat), trigeminy (occurring every third beat), quadrigeminy (occurring every fourth beat), etc., etc.

HOWEVER, the main problem or concern (even more so, much more emphasized for those with certain major or serious heart conditions) with PVCs is if/when sustained ventricular tachycardia (runs of PVCs over 30 seconds) occurs.

PVCs may/can occur with/in the presence of bradycardia (heart rate under 60 BPM), tachycardia (heart rate over 100 BPM).

Symptoms that may/can occur wih PVCs includes none at all or chest pain/discomfort/pressure/tightness, difficulty breathing, lightheadedness/dizziness, and in uncommon to rare cases, near-syncope or syncope (temporary loss of consciousness, includes fainting and passing out).

"My last pregnancy I has episodes of tachy which was diag as hormone surges. Post-baby I still experience palpitations. They have actually subsided over the last month or two since......

Important to know, pregnancy (first, second, or more) itself can place a tremendous strain on the heart and circulatory system, which may/can cause, or aggravate/worsen/exacerbate various symptoms/problems, even in healthy individuals.

By the time the baby is due, blood volume has increased by up to 50%, meaning the heart must beat faster and pump harder to move all that blood. Post-pregnancy, symptoms/problems may/can continue or entirely new ones may/can develop/arise, sometimes slowly, gradually or suddenly.

"I called and have an appt w cardio 12/12,"

Kudos on that.

"I was seen last Sept for Holter, event, ekg, echo- determined benign palp- extra beats.

"Is it safe to cont to jog while experiencing these palps?"

One would tend to think so in general, however only your doctor(s) can properly advise you on matters concerning safety.

Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

MedicineNet - We Bring Doctors' Knowledge to You

Palpitations

http://www.medicinenet.com/Palpitations/article.htm

eHealthMD

Palpitations

http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/palpitations/PAL_whatis.html

-

Learn about the heart's delicate/precise electrical conduction system

Your-doctor

Animated Tutorial

http://www.your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/conductiontutorial.html

Heart Rhythm Society

Patient and Public Information Center

http://www.hrspatients.org/patients

-

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
It's encouraging that your previous work-up was unremarkable - it's not uncommon for people do develop a few premature heart beats during exercise - especially among endurance athletes. It seems like a good idea to see the cardiologist - but you could also have your primary doctor order a Holter beforehand so that you could correlate your symptoms with any abnormal beats to see if there's a relationship there. That way you might have the information you need so as not to interrupt your training to as much of a degree. Best to discuss any limitations to exercise etc. with your primary doctor now so you know what to anticipate. Take care!

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Omega 3 (Harp Seal Oil): One of the Best Supplement for Heart Diseases
Omega 3 is a must for Heart Disease, especially Harp Seal Oil Omega3. More Info(Harp Seal Oil vs. Fish Oil) I prefer canadian products ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center