Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Short PR Interval
Anon_58874 posted:
I've been doing an ECG recently and I've been told that my PR was out of range at 105 for my age (male, mid-30s). Supposedly, it should be between 120-200. I did a repeat of the test and my PR was under 100. I was worried about the result and did consult a physician in Canada. The physician (as most Canadian physicians) was rude and told me that I had nothing to worry about because ECGs are always changing, giving random numbers.

I have been checking on Google and have seen many conditions associated with short PR intervals. Should I see a doctor in the US? I am very worried about my health.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"Should I see a doctor in the US? I am very worried about my health."

Yes, of course, or at least for now, consult with another doctor if your still in Canada, even it it turns out being a so-called "normal variant".

Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Shortened PR Interval

Short PR Interval on ECG

http://www.fpnotebook.com/cv/exam/PrIntrvl.htm

http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/sym/short_pr_internval_on_ecg.htm
_ . _

A short PR interval may be associated with an otherwise normal electrocardiogram or a myriad of bizarre electrocardiographic abnormalities. Clinically, the individual may be asymptomatic or experience a variety of complex arrhythmias, which may be disabling, though rarely cause sudden cardiac death.

_ . _

Heart Rhythm Society

Patient and Public Information Center

http://www.hrspatients.org/patients

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
It's true that there are some heart rhythm disturbances associated with a short PR interval - such as Wolff Parkinson White syndrome or Lown Ganong Levine syndrome - both involve electrical bypass tracts that could increase the likelihood of abnormally fast heart rhythms. In people who have no history of any symptoms of palpitations or fast heart rates, cardiologists tend not to put them through invasive evaluations or much further testing. Best to discuss your own situation with your doctor - if you are not crazy about your relationship with your current doctor you could always get a second opinion.

sahasrangshu responded:
Hi,

You could be having a WPW syndrome or an LGL syndrome.These cases could often lead to palpitation leading to PSVT or atrial fibrillation.Do not be upset as currently there is no medication to alter your PR interval but yes you should consult a cardiologist and get the correct diagnosis done.I hope a suitable cardiologist will sort out the problems that you have and you could live a better life.

Regards

Dr.S.Gupta(physician from Calcutta).

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center