Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    Short PR Interval
    Anon_58874 posted:
    I've been doing an ECG recently and I've been told that my PR was out of range at 105 for my age (male, mid-30s). Supposedly, it should be between 120-200. I did a repeat of the test and my PR was under 100. I was worried about the result and did consult a physician in Canada. The physician (as most Canadian physicians) was rude and told me that I had nothing to worry about because ECGs are always changing, giving random numbers.

    I have been checking on Google and have seen many conditions associated with short PR intervals. Should I see a doctor in the US? I am very worried about my health.
    cardiostarusa1 responded:

    "Should I see a doctor in the US? I am very worried about my health."

    Yes, of course, or at least for now, consult with another doctor if your still in Canada, even it it turns out being a so-called "normal variant".

    Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

    Take care,


    WebMD member (since 8/99)



    Shortened PR Interval

    Short PR Interval on ECG
    _ . _

    A short PR interval may be associated with an otherwise normal electrocardiogram or a myriad of bizarre electrocardiographic abnormalities. Clinically, the individual may be asymptomatic or experience a variety of complex arrhythmias, which may be disabling, though rarely cause sudden cardiac death.

    _ . _

    Heart Rhythm Society

    Patient and Public Information Center



    "Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

    - Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society


    It's your there.

    . .

    WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
    James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
    It's true that there are some heart rhythm disturbances associated with a short PR interval - such as Wolff Parkinson White syndrome or Lown Ganong Levine syndrome - both involve electrical bypass tracts that could increase the likelihood of abnormally fast heart rhythms. In people who have no history of any symptoms of palpitations or fast heart rates, cardiologists tend not to put them through invasive evaluations or much further testing. Best to discuss your own situation with your doctor - if you are not crazy about your relationship with your current doctor you could always get a second opinion.
    sahasrangshu responded:

    You could be having a WPW syndrome or an LGL syndrome.These cases could often lead to palpitation leading to PSVT or atrial fibrillation.Do not be upset as currently there is no medication to alter your PR interval but yes you should consult a cardiologist and get the correct diagnosis done.I hope a suitable cardiologist will sort out the problems that you have and you could live a better life.


    Dr.S.Gupta(physician from Calcutta).

    Helpful Tips

    Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
    Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    17 of 19 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

    Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center