Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Confused about signs of a heart issue
Apaige2305 posted:
I am 28 years old. In the past year I have been to the emergency room twice for chest pains, shortness of breath, almost fainting( first visit). The most recent visit was almost two months ago. They did not come to any kind of conclusion or diagnosis. And, I am not asking you to. Last night when I was going to sleep I noticed my heart was beating very hard and very fast. It was also seeming to skip a beat or something. I have had this happen to me quite a few times in the past few years. I also woke up last night twice completely covered in sweat. So much so that my wife had to put a fan on the mattress when she got home from work today. Odd thing is, is I did not smell of sweat when I woke up this morning neither did the sheets this afternoon when my wife got home. I have had severe chest pain, trouble breathing, lack of energy, a sharp pain that shoots from my chest to my neck, difficulty swallowing , and an irregular heart beat for awhile now. I am just looking for as much advice as I can get.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
Sometimes it can be helpful for people with palpitations or a sensation of a fast heart rate to wear a heart monitor for a few days - or even a few weeks - to correlate their symptoms with their heart rhythm. It could be worth discussing with your doctor to see if this could be an option.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"In the past year I have been to the emergency room twice for....."

"They did not come to any kind of conclusion or diagnosis."

The examination and treatment that one receives at the ER is not intended as a substitute for complete "all-around" medical care by/from the patient's regularly seen doctor(s).

"I noticed my heart was beating very hard and very fast. It was also seeming to skip a beat or something. I have had this happen to me quite a few times in the past few years."

As applicable, the most common type of palpitations, premature ventricular contractions (PVCs, occurs even in many heart-healthy individuals), described that the heart is flip-flopping, fluttering, jumping, pausing or stopping briefly (though it's actually not doing that), pounding, SKIPPING, thumping, or strong, HARD, or forceful beats being felt in the chest, neck, throat, has various causes (cardiac and non-cardiac) or triggers.

Also, worth mentioning, as applicable to the patient, there is a condition commonly known as supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) or paroxsymal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT), which has various causes or triggers.

PSVT typically causes a frightening burst/surge in heart/pulse rate that begins/starts and ends/stops suddenly (hence the term paroxsymal), which can last for just mere seconds or it can continue on for minutes to hours to days. SVT can send the heart into speeds up to 150-200 BPM, and sometimes, even as high as 300 BPM.

Symptoms that may/can occur with SVT, PSVT, as well as PVCs, includes chest pain/discomfort/pressure/tightness, shortness of breath, lightheadedness/dizziness, and in uncommon to rare cases, syncope (temporary loss of consciousness, which includes passing out or fainting). Sometimes there are no symptoms.

Additionally, of the various types of heart conditions, some which can occur at ANY AGE, symptoms may/can be acute (occurring suddenly), be chronic (occurring over a long period of time), come and go (be transient, fleeting or episodic, such as an irregular heartbeat/arrhythmia, a heart rate too fast, too slow or alternating/abnormal variations thereof, requiring the use of a Holter monitor or event recorder at home and during daily activities) or even be silent.

Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

LEARN ABOUT the

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

-

Heart Rhythm Society

Patient and Public Information Center

http://www.hrspatients.org/patients

_ . _

Calming the HEART

Techniques at Home (as applicable to the patient)

Tighten stomach muscles. As soon as the heart starts to race, tighten the stomach muscles. This will cause the abdominal muscles to put pressure on a group of nerves that will tell the heart's electrical coduction system to slow down.

Chill. Take a deep, long breath and slowly let it out. Sometimes relaxation is all it takes to stop tachycardia. And deep breathing is frequently one of the fastest ways to relax.

Use common sense. Anything that speeds up the heart, caffeine and cigarettes, for example, can trigger a rapid heartbeat. So common sense says that if one is prone to tachycardia, one should avoid any substance that might give the heart an extra kick.

-

Quote!

Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

To keep a Healthy heart
Try concentrate on cholesterol free food ,reduce or totally avoid tobacco smoking and exercisefor about 30 minutes. More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center